Barq's Root Beer

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Just for the record ...

Orangico bottle cap!

Orangico Bottle Cap (2).jpg

Which kind of, sort of, looks like an Orangine bottle cap.

By the way, there are four Orangico bottles currently on eBay, one of which is an Owens-Illinois Duraglas made in 1954

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
CreekWalker

Thanks!

Here's some more of the story ...

Now I can search in earnest for another one of these Cascade Bottling Works deco-style Orangine bottles from New Orleans. It was made by Owens-Illinois, but I'm not certain if its a 1930s or 1940s bottle. My best guess is that its from the 1930s ...

Orangine Bottle Cascade Bottling New Orleans Embossed.jpg

Orangine Bottle Cascade Bottling New Orleans Embossed Base (2).jpg

Footnote: In a way I'm glad the acl bottles turned out to be Orangico bottles and not Orangine bottles. I suspected they were from the 1950s or 1960s - and that bothered me because they just didn't fit into the scheme of things for early Barq's bottles. Whereas the deco-style Orangine bottle fits like a glove!

Mudbug

Reaction score
I can confirm, I do see it SODAPOPBOB and I also see that familiar Fleur de Lis, which in my mind, represents New Orleans,LA and would possibly indicate it was found in New Orleans,LA.,,,, land of Barq's Root Beer, "it has bite"...... :)

I'm not a member of Worth Point,so as far as I can go is to look and read the caption, no pricing or any other information.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Well, it looks like I'm on the hunt again for an Orangine ACL

That is if Chris Weide's "ACL WANT LIST" is accurate.

Scroll alphabetically to ...

http://www.ca-yd.com/textfile/bottles/WANTLIST.HTM

ORANGINE - NEW ORLEANS, LA - CLEAR - 12 - GREEN/WHITE - "NEW ORLEANS" - "GOLD MEDAL"

Notice he list an ORANGICO ACL just above the ORANGINE ACL - Both of which are green and white.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
The more I look around the more references I see for "Orangine" from the 1800s. And it wasn't just sold in California and Nevada. It was also sold in ...

Globe, Arizona - 1890

Notice it mentions by the glass, bottle, dozen or barrel

Orangine Globe Arizona 1890.jpg

I did some brief research on C. E. Taylor and discovered he had a general merchandise store and soda fountain. The 1890 population of Globe was 803 residents. I'm not sure who's brand of Orangine he sold, but suspect it was that of Schmidt & Company from Stockton, California because of the date and the use of the word "tonic"

Here's a picture of Globe, Arizona - Circa 1910

Globe Arizona (2).jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Question ...

How the heck did Orangine end up in a small mining town like Globe, Arizona?

Note: I don't know the answer but if it was sold in a place as remote as Globe, Arizona, then I have to believe it could have been sold almost anywhere!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I guess all I can say about the various "Orangine" beverages is this ...

1. Schmidt & Company applied for an "Orangine" trademark in 1888 - which was at least two years before Barq Brothers Bottling was established - providing they were established that early, which is questionable.

2. Schmidt & Company was definitely selling an "Orangine Tonic Beverage" in numerous locals in 1890, including in California, Nevada, and possibly Arizona.

3. The earliest confirmed reference I can find that connects "Orangine" with Barq Brothers Bottling is 1893.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raybrdn