A Pretty Blue Poison Bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

sassycb

Reaction score
About a week ago my husband came home with a pretty blue poison bottle. You all have to understand that he is a heavy machine operator with a local construction company. He is currently working on the shores of Lake Erie. The city park wanted to put a paver walkway down to the waters edge. None of us knew until shortly after the bottle find that this park, or some of it, was constructed with landfill materials underneath. After finding the value of this poison bottle, I told my hubby to keep collecting as many bottles or "things" that he could bring to me. So here I am with approximatly 400 bottles, and more comming every couple days. Lets not get excited yet. I only have 1 poison bottle, or so I think. Most of the bottles are medicine bottles, most have pontils of some form, most seams date most bottles to late 1800's- very early 1900's. There are many colors of glass, many shapes and sizes, many are embossed or have trademarks on them. He has also brought me old dairy jars, old cosmetic bottles, some household cosmetic and cleaning items. I have what I think is to be what you would call maybe a dark olive or black glass wine bottle with beautiful bubbles, what seem to be 2 whittle marks, and a large 2 inch push-up. Ha Ha, I almost sound like I know what I'm talking about. All I do know is that I probably have some significant bottle finds and don't even know it. I bought 2 books, and got 2 more at the local library. This is too overwhelming for 1 person with no experience. In my case I almost need someone to come to my bottles and teach me what I have. Is there any way this could be done? I live on the near west side of Cleveland Ohio. Please help. Christine.

DiggerBryan

Reaction score
Hey Christine, I am from Ohio and also fairly knowledgeable on Ohio bottles. (especially milk bottles) I live in Ashland and don't think I could travel to Cleveland. But if you could post some pics and maybe give some descriptions, I'm sure I could help.

Miles

Reaction score
Usually bottles with pontil marks date from the 1850's or before, so you may just be seeing manufacturing marks. If you have many embossed bottles with a real pontil mark, you and your husband could take a vacation for a week or so, if you catch my drift. [;)]

Jim

Reaction score
If I lived a little closer, I would be glad to come and help you identify them. Unfortunately, I'm in the middle of Pennsylvania! If you have time, could you post a picture or two of your poison bottle? I would love to see it, and could probably tell you anything you might want to know about it. Thanks, and congratulations on your many finds. Jim

lexdigger

Reaction score
It sounds like you all have gotten into a turn of the century dump, or at least the fill from one. If you're finding pontiled base bottles, then it's alot older fill than late 1800's-early 1900's. More than likely what you're seeing is mold or tool marks left on the glass from it being hand blown. The green wine bottles are very common, but still neat finds. Of course, the poison is a great find! Depending on which type, it could be valuable. There are also alot of common ones to, so you'll have to do some research to find out it's value. Just because it says Poison on it doesn't make it valuable. You should try to take some pictures of them and post em for everyone to see. Alot of these guys can tell you what you've got with just a glance... Chris Capley

madman

Reaction score
yo sassy, sounds like your husban hit the jackpot!! pontiled or machine made or somwhere in between, bottle collecting is a fun hobbie! enjoy your finds! try to post some pictures!!!! please. oh yes you can try ebay or the internet to acquire info on your bottles mike

treasurekidd

Reaction score
Sassy, here is a link to the Ohio Bottle Club. Contact them, or attend a meeting if hey are close enough. I'm sure they can help you. best of luck, I hope you have some rare (meaning $$$$, of cours) ones in your collection!

http://www.ohiobottles.freehomepage.com/

sassycb

Reaction score
Hello everyone, thanks for all your support. Well, I got my camera and have some pics to share as soon as I can learn how to get them here. Should be today. I'm up to about 600 bottles. Most in bad shape though, they have been through a lot. I'll be back soon with pics. Christine

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen