Ahh Nuts....

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Well I had a first happen to me yesterday. My first broken bottle out of the tumbler. [&o] Luckily it was mine and not a very expensive one but it sucks rocks just the same! It was a pumpkinseed flask and I'm thinking due to the akward size and having to use a 5" can to accommodate it, there was too much copper on the outside even turning it on slow. Anybody else have any problems turning pumpkinseeds? There wasn't any cracks or open bubbles that I could see. I guess the worst part is picking all the shards out of the copper![:-] Kelley

bearswede

Reaction score
That's a bit of tough luck, bud... But, as you say, it was yor'n and not worth a million... Good thing it wasn't Cindy's huh!!???

Ron

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Aye ya mister svead. It vas hers an din it vas mine, an din it vas da city dumps. Damn zee luck, no? [:D] I got a real nice very yellow amber one that needs a light tumble and I'm scared to death cuz I paid a little bit more for it! lol! Kelley

stinger haut

Reaction score
Kelley, I have had the same problem in the past with those types of flasks and similar thin walled ones.
I run my tumbler at 20 rpms and use the heavier plastic pellets instead of copper. I've probably tumbled over 20 without any damage using this method.
Tumbling with plastic pellets take 3 times as long compared to copper. I also will use cutting oxides first if needed before polishing.
Good luck,
Stinger

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey Stinger, thanks for the reply. I don't have any plastic pellets cause I've never had need of them before. Definately an option now! My slow speed is about 40-45 rpm's and I thought I was safe. This bottle should not have broken, but I guess you never know!! I will definately do some thinking before I put the yellow one in. Thanks, Kelley

tazmainiendigger

Reaction score
Sorry to hear your bad news Kelley! These two came out of the tumbler tonight and are headed for the fleabay..... Believe it or not... I put them on high speed...copper water and blah blah blah.... They had been quite hazy and these are the result of a 4 day spin...... Did you use enough pressure when pushing down on the upper stopple??? Taz

D5CDC5FD7EF9417DA80885E3C28EDAF1.jpg

Attachments

• D5CDC5FD7EF9417DA80885E3C28EDAF1.jpg
    D5CDC5FD7EF9417DA80885E3C28EDAF1.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 48

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Nice job Taz.... who knows on the pressure? I put it in like I do all my bottles, or at least I thought I did. Do you back off on the external copper when you have to use a larger can than normal? Kelley

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Hey Taz...

Those flasks came out really nice... are you sure that you're doing them yourself???[8|] Or you havin somebody else do them for ya?[:-]

Man, I gotta put one of those together some day. I got boxes of bottles waitin to be tumbled!![&o] Now that I'll have the time to do it, I just have to get more organized. Get-R-Done as they say.[:mad:]

Hey, thanks for the call the other day. It was good talking with you.[:)]

Wayne

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barbudagirl