Alabama hutches & blobs

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

E

Reaction score
All,

I was shocked earlier today to learn of a local collector (Richmond, Va.) who has a small collection of very sweet Alabama bottles that he wants to sell off, does anyone know the value of these bama bottles:

1. Phoenix Bottling Works, Mobile = gorgeous 10-sided hutch in mint condition

2. Alabama Bottling Works, Birmingham (with more embossment and logo on opposite side) hutch in good dug condition.

3. CN & Co, deep aqua pony/squat blob with improved pontil, he thinks its from gulf coast somewhere. Anybody know this one?

He had a couple others, but these are all I can recall - since they were the purdiest. He wants $75 for each, a little steep for me, but I know 'bama bottles are typically scarce and I have none in my soda collection. I am leaning toward picking up the Phoenix for display. Whaddya think?

glass man

Reaction score
MAYBE SOME ONE CAN TELL YOU MORE ABOUT THEM THEN I CAN.SEEMS THE PERSON AIN'T SURE ABOUT THE BLOB,THE BOTTLEING WORKS SOUNDS HIGH FOR $75[HOPEFULLY SOMEONE CAN COMFIRM THIS OR NOT] SECIALLY DUG EVEN IN NICE "DUG" CONDITION. THE PHONIX SOUNDS GOOD ,SURLY SOMEONE HERE KNOWS ABOUT IT! I ONCE BOUGHT A HUTCH FROM ANNISTON ALA. [CAN'T REMEMBER WHAT THE EMBOSSING WAS BESIDES ANNISTON] FOR $2 AT COLLINSVILLE ALA. FLEA MARKET! THE OLD COUPLE SAID THEY HAD FOUND IT UNDER THIRE STORE. I KNEW NOTHING ABOUT IT ,BUT GAVE A PRICE OF $45 TO A ALA. HUTCH COLLECTOR.HE BOUGHT IT! I THOUGHT I'LL GET RICH AT THIS ,THIS IS TOO EASY! WELL NEEDLESS TO SAY I WAS NEW TO THE BOTTLE WORLD! I SURE DIDN'T GET RICH! IT WAS IN THE 70'S. OH WELL!

E

Reaction score
GlassMan,

I ain't no salesman = anything I find/purchase usually stays in my collection unless I give it away, or it gets misappropriated by friends and/or family (sadly much of my collection has been lost and scattered in this way). I've never desired making money off of bottles - I am a pure collector.

I certainly ain't a rich man, but I do have a decent job and limited vices to drain my cash away: I don't frequent bars (I do like to tilt a few brews now and then though), I don't play the ponies (except for pony soda bottles), I don't do golf (my pals spend $200 on golf and related paraphenalia), I drive an old beat up - but paid for truck, and I don't chase women around (I gotz a good wife). The result is that do have some cash to purchase bottles. In recent times I have opted to go more with quality over quantity = buy a few dream bottles instead of several more common bottles.

The Phoenix looks like a good purchase, but if I hear that it is a common bottle I will likely back off on buying (we have the local RABCA bottle show coming up in October, may be wise to pool my cash).

You been digging any?

banshee65

Reaction score
I would back away from the Alabama Bottling Works bottle. I bought mine for $10.00 in dug condition and have seen others in better (pristine) condition at the bottle show here for $40.00-up. I mainly collect B'ham bottles so I can't help you with the coastal ones. I wish I had some some spare bottles to sell to you, but keep looking, those B'ham hutches are not as uncommon as you might think! (Except maybe the Coca Cola)

capsoda

Reaction score
The Alabama Bottling Works is a common bottle and worth 20 bucks or so and so is the Phoenix Bottling Works. The pony blob CN & Co may be worth 50 bucks or so in good condition. It used to be a big money maker but Ebay and Ivan changed all that.

Oh yeah, they will be alot higher at bottles shows but rarely sell.

E

Reaction score
Very cool, thanx to all for the info, I'll wait till I can make a gulf coast trip before I pick up my bama bottles - really like the looks of the Phoenix. Gotta love our forum, E.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RyGuy73