Ball Jar question

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jdogrulz

Reaction score
WOW, now thats the forum Ive known to come to love and admire!![;)]

Thank you all for your replies.

First Road Dog,
I read about what you are saying, about getting paid and all and how after the machines started then it was to identify a mold and machine, BUT, I guess what I am asking is, is this a special mark (using the Roman symbols)? I know that numbers appear but this one has NO numbers just IV.

Second Arthur,
Thanks again for your reply also, but as I stated above to Road Dog, and you just kinda show what I am saying is that most jars have a number on them just like yours do (oh and by the way that last pic was a 2 on the base not a 3)[:)].

So what do ya think?

Jeff

arthur

Reaction score
one more

16AC76D4F5894787B637E1019F13B123.jpg

Attachments

• 16AC76D4F5894787B637E1019F13B123.jpg
    16AC76D4F5894787B637E1019F13B123.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 49

Road Dog

Reaction score
I can't say about it being special or not. I can't remember seeing Roman numerals before. You're gonna force me to look at the bottoms of all my jars.[:D] Here is a pic of a blown one I have with a cross.

BCE1172C4EC24B2192FA45FA1EFA6502.jpg

Attachments

• BCE1172C4EC24B2192FA45FA1EFA6502.jpg
    BCE1172C4EC24B2192FA45FA1EFA6502.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 47

jdogrulz

Reaction score
Nope Road Dog Aurthur Beat ya to it...Ok thanks again guys.

Very cool jar Road Dog!!

Ok, that about sums it up on this one, But I have more....[:D]

I am trying to learn as I go. I do alot of reading on this forum and also on the Historic Glass Bottle Identification & Information Website but its not that easy unless you have people like you guys helping out. The next post I will try to info one and see how I do.

Jeff

jdogrulz

Reaction score
Thanks pyshodoodle but I have already read that site and have it bookmarked. It is a GREAT SITE!! And actually it was after reading that site that got me wondering about the roman numerals on the bottom of my jar. Because it talks about the #13 jar and the number 2 jar etc.... But I have found NOWHERE were they talk about numbers in roman numerals.

Anyway just stired my curosity and thats what I love about bottles, the history, the stories etc... and investigating them.

Well thanks again for your reply

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
Try again later. I was on it today, so probably a temporary technical issue... If you haven't founf this one yet, I think you'll like it. Lots of pictures of what to really look for in Ball Jars.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well I looked through the replies to your post and I can tell you that the circle in many of the pictured replies that have the round circle near the center of the bottom. Those circles are all a machine mark for the settle blow air valve in the bottom center cavity of the baffle. The baffle valve is used over the blank to supply quicker settle blow air to the cavity above the dropped gob of glass. This air pressure is needed to push the hot glass into the neckring cavity before the press plunger comes up to shape the inside of the parison before it is transferred to the blow mold. The glass that the plunger pushes up actually lifts the valve back into the closed position in the baffle but it does leave this mark.
RED Matthews

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bricri2