Be Careful Kicking Around Those Mason Jars

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jpoff430

Reaction score
I was looking through some dumping pics from earlier in the fall and thought you guys might enjoy this. I found this dump about a mile into the woods, pretty well off a path I was hiking. I didnt have a rake or anything this time and wasnt really planning on digging for bottles. Just looking for new spots. There were a bunch of leaves down so when I noticed some bottles I just started kicking around with my foot. When I hit this mason jar this little dude popped out. Needless to say I left that jar there. I dont know much about snakes but judging from the size of his head and pattern I think it was a copperhead. I could be wrong. I had one person say they thought it was a baby black rat snake. Anyway, he let me take a picture of him and I let it at that. You just never know what you might find out there.

8B778B2A6D23429488C31E887EB367C8.jpg

Attachments

• 8B778B2A6D23429488C31E887EB367C8.jpg
    8B778B2A6D23429488C31E887EB367C8.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 74

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Cool. That head looks like a viper to me. My guess is a rattlesnake. I think it was smart to clear out especially after you kicked his domcile. I would have been mightily tempted to see if there was a rattle, though.

jpoff430

Reaction score
We do have some rattlers here in PA. I came home and got on the PA website for snakes and I thought it looked like a Copperhead. He was pretty chill considering I kicked his house. He did coil up but remained perfectly still. I think if I would have gotten much closer he would have hit me pretty good. Copperheads are poisonous but one that size I dont think would have killed me. I probably would have gotten pretty sick though, and it was a good hike out of there.

chall103

Reaction score
Nice snake

Some people find all the best stuff. Nice snake. I would have brought him home myself. A copperhead wouldnt have killed you, just got you really sick. The smaller the snake though, the more you have to worry. They release all their venom at once.

KBbottles

Reaction score
RE: Nice snake

Yep those little baby snacks can pack a punch! Beautiful little specimen though! Glad you let him live in peace. I've encountered quite a few garter snakes over the years and in the winter they are very docile so I pick them up (with my digging gloves on of course).

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score

It looks like a juvenile ratsnake. Harmless and very beneficial.

Its weird that some of the best friends of humans (snakes and spiders) have such a bad rep.

cyberdigger

Reaction score

Its weird that some of the best friends of humans (snakes and spiders) have such a bad rep.

..it's the deadly poisonous species which ruin it for the rest..

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score

even the poisonous ones do a lot more good than harm and should be relocated rather than killed.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles