Broke some stuff

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

photolitherland

Reaction score
I am moving out of my old apartment and into a new one. While in the process of moving I managed to destroy a couple of my antiques. The first one I managed to screw up was a circa 1890 tea cup and saucer. I broke the saucer in half by slightly hitting it against a bottle. Luckily I didnt pay much for that one but still really sucks. Then today I was unpacking all my antique bottles and had them on the floor. I walked over to get my phone and pretty much kicked my old case gin bottle across the floor and it managed to come into contact with an old whiskey I dug up in Nevada. Well, needless to say, I broke the top off of the case gin and cracked the whiskey. Now Im going to have to find a replacement case gin on ebay. Luckily that case gin was a fairly common one but still, I havent broken any of my antiques over all these years and within a span of one day broke around 150 bucks worth of bottles and such.

Have any of you broken any of your bottles, Im sure its eventually going to happen no matter what, so I probably shouldnt be too dismayed.

epackage

Reaction score
That sucks and I know the feeling....better days ahead PL...Jim

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I never played soccer with case gins, but one time I carefully filled a box with bottles and when I picked it up, the bottom promptly gave way.. I lost about 12 specimens.. total breakage score: two cats- 0, Charlie- 12... [;)]

bostaurus

Reaction score
I knocked one off the shelf yesterday. I had just decided to send it to my father-in-law as a Christmas present. I went to push some other bottles to the back of the cabinet to keep them safe and hit this one on the way out. It was only about 3 feet off the carpeted floor but hit the narrow slate surround instead of the carpet. Oh well.

photolitherland

Reaction score
^
What kinda bottle was it?

I just bought a similar case gin to the one I had off of ebay, so all is not lost, although I would have liked to have spent that money on a new bitters bottle or something, but oh well.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: photolitherland

Well, I didnt mean to play soccer with the gin :) That sucks, 12 bottles, did you break down and start crying?

No, I cursed like a sailor for a spell, though.. !

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
4 years ago my son flew an apache radio controlled helicopter into an open display case I have all of my Jenny Lind calabash bottles on.Score apache helicopter 3 Jenny Lind 0.I lost two Fislerville originals worth 150.00 to 200.00 each and a Ravenna Glassworks version worth 300.00.
They fell 5 feet to their demise.So I lost 600 to 700 hundred dollars worth of bottles,but they are and were replaceable.I have replaced each of them with quite a few Fislervilles and two more Ravennas. All was not lost,because with three less it will only make my remaining ones more valuable.[;)]

Lordbud

Reaction score
That good old 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake busted or damaged a good dozen bottles. I've replaced one or two of them over the years. I keep my bottles wrapped up in divider boxes. And of course there hasn't been any earthquake worth its salt around here since 1989. That weird "non fault line" Northridge, Calif. earthquake in 1994 seemed to put a stop to any real San Andreas fault line activity afterward. But who knows? Trying to "predict" completely random events (like earthquakes) seems goofy, although I'm sure folks employed by the USGS would beg to differ.[:-]

photolitherland

Reaction score
If the New Madrid fault ever reactivates, my entire collection will be screwed for sure since I only live about 200 miles away from it and any sizeable earthquake from that fault would be able to be felt within a 250 mile radius and shake buildings if the quake is over an 8 like it was in 1814.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaveL