Broken dreams

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Relicsnstuff

Reaction score
Hello to all,

Every now and then we make a find of a life time only to say too bad its broken, I have several of these I call broken dreams because we dream of finding bottles like this, but in my dreams they are whole. Here is a pic of a very rare New Orleans cobalt mineral water made into a one of a kind by having a huge open pontil on the bottom. I know there must be a lot of broken dreams out there, care to share yours?

Joe

Om31923.jpg

Maine woods Digger 2

Reaction score
I agree so much with you, I go digging once in awile. Havnt been recently but a few times i have gone and find great bottles smashed, no neck it angers me its like when i seee that its time to throw the digging tools down and jus leave, i know its not the attitude you should have but its just hard to continue on when you find great looking bottles and there smashed or have cracks in them. well thats my piece. peace out grilscoute

Relicsnstuff

Reaction score
Brad, Is that bitters bottle puce? at least the hole is on the bottom so it will still display nice.

Maine woods digger, whenever we dig one of those good broken bottles we sit there over the hole and say oh well if it would have been whole no one in our group could afford to buy the others out anyway, but all of us would have wanted it. I guess thats how we try not to make it as frustrating when that happens.

Joe.

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
You know Joe, one thing worse than digging a broken dream is breaking the dream when you are digging it![:eek:] I'm sure we all have but I doubt anybody ever gets used to it. I took a 3/4 in. chip out of one of my USA Hosp. Dept. bottles here awhile back digging a bottle next to it! My hand digger slipped and my bottle was chipped![:mad:] Alas, there is always that next pit.[:D] Happy Diggin, Kelley

baltbottles

Reaction score
Hi Joe,

Thats one great soda there I’d be proud to have it even broken. But theres hope for it blue is a pretty easy color to match and i have tackled bottles with similar damage. Here is a pic of some of the criers from my digs over the past year or so. Sadly most baltimore privies are well dipped so we only get fragments of a rare bottle.

Chris

Zx72104.jpg

Attachments

• Zx72104.jpg
    Zx72104.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 99

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I'd post some pictures from Maine, but my dang computer is acting up!! Anyway, I've often wondered if it made sense to hold on to some of those broken or badly cracked bottles that would otherwise be a 'dream' find?[8D] I confess that I have a few bottles on display that have a crack in the back, or a chip. I kept them for their display looks, not value. I have a cathedral pickle that looks great, but is worthless due to missing corner on base. The same goes for all the bisque and china doll parts, I have a box of them that looks like the remains from a slasher movie; arms, legs, feet heads hands etc!![:D]

Relicsnstuff

Reaction score
Hello Chris,

Well as soon as I get the bottle cleaned up I will contact you as I will want to get this one repaired, I still had not got to cleaning up the others I E-mailed you but this one will be the first one I'am going to start with, I send you a E-mail when its ready.

Thanks,

Joe.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles