Can Anyone Help Identify This Small Eight-Sided Bottle?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

M. Lackner

Reaction score
Hallo Everyone,
I'm a new member and I'm quite new to collecting bottle so I hope this isn't a silly question.
I live in Australia and the other day I found a small clear bottle in clay at the bottom of a garbage pit. I believe the pit was used by a hotel which operated in the 1870s (so there's a few black glass bottles (and unfortunately a lot of broken shards)). The bottle is about 4.4 inches high, has 8 sides and seam running up it on both sides (I'm not sure what the rough patch is on the bottom. It isn't damaged writing). When standing it sits at a very slight tilt. I think it was mould-turned due to lines running around the outside of the bottle. Curiously it doesn't have many bubbles - only small ones. I was wondering if anyone has any idea what it was used for and how old it is (if it is that old). Thank you for your time and any help.

IMG_4037.JPG
IMG_4041.JPG
IMG_4045.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4039.JPG
    IMG_4039.JPG
    396.9 KB · Views: 46

Semar

Reaction score
Looks like a cologne to me.

Hezezilla

Reaction score
Welcome to the site!!!

I collect a lot of small bottles (it's pretty interesting to see how small Japanese bottles can get). I've noticed that small bottles mean small bubbles. You need to hold them up to a bright light and look carefully. Sometimes it looks like diamond dust. Could have been a perfume, toiletry, or maybe even a posh sort of extract I suppose.

M. Lackner

Reaction score
Wow! It's interesting to hear about all the different uses the bottle may have had. Does anyone have a rough estimate on the age of the bottle?

Hezezilla

Reaction score
Wow! It's interesting to hear about all the different uses the bottle may have had. Does anyone have a rough estimate on the age of the bottle?
Well considering that you're digging an 1870s pit, I would safely assume it's the same age. Depending on how high up it was, it could be as young as the 1890s I would assume. But, with it possibly being pontiled, probably 1860s or 70s I would guess.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen