Clueless Michiganders with a LOT of Bottles.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

WesternPA-collector

Reaction score
Welcome to the site Sarah. Some beautiful bottles you have there. I know research takes time, but you have to do it unless you want to short-change yourself. Search for the names of the bottles on here, Ebay, Etsy, and other sites. If you act too eager to get rid of the bottles, you'll probably get lowballed on the price. Those bottles are an asset, not a burden. Especially when the economy is going to come apart soon.

crocke28

Reaction score
Welcome to the site Sarah. Some beautiful bottles you have there. I know research takes time, but you have to do it unless you want to short-change yourself. Search for the names of the bottles on here, Ebay, Etsy, and other sites. If you act too eager to get rid of the bottles, you'll probably get lowballed on the price. Those bottles are an asset, not a burden. Especially when the economy is going to come apart soon.
Those are my thoughts exactly, I’ve been meaning to do the research as one bottle is (per bf) at least $100. Apparently there aren’t as many as I thought, but a decent collection nonetheless. I’ll take some better photos of more of them, but the good light was fading.

I see them like what I collect- you can’t Marty mcfly to the US mint and correct the error (& I spent a lot of time roll searching for some of the rare guys I have), so even with economic issues it still retains its value. Happy to put in the time!

My bf actually has little to no sentimental value in them - I’d just like the knowledge to sell them to someone who’ll take care of them and enjoy them. Without getting hoodwinked, of course.

That said, there are some cans and ceramics here we’re looking to possibly find buyers for; a large round brown ceramic Kansas City, MO whiskey jug, blue whiskey ceramic bottle and an adorable colt 45 8oz untapped malt liquor which I may keep around as a reminder he was foolish enough to try drinking the other.

while he may have slightly more knowledge about the stuff in question, he has no time so it’s up to inspector Sarah to find help and advice with tit. Seems like I came to the right place!

crocke28

Reaction score
Those bottles with the funky holes in the bottom, are more than likely Pontil scares. You should post some pictures of those in particular as they will stir some interest. Most collectors will want a specific type, color, region, or remarks on the bottle. CONDITION is everything and from what you have posted there isn't a problem there. As far as selling them do what some of the guys here have said and research them. There are many sites available online and I would use them as a source for information.
Will do! There are only one or two I saw with a chip, but several indeed have the holes in the bottom - not sure how many with the more jagged edges at present, though.

Old man digger

Reaction score
Will do! There are only one or two I saw with a chip, but several indeed have the holes in the bottom - not sure how many with the more jagged edges at present, though.
If at all possible take some pics and post them here. That way you can get some more info and possible collector value.

embe

Reaction score
I agree with the above comments. For sure, post a few pics. I've found the members here to be honest and very knowledgeable when it comes to at least giving you an idea of what you've got.

Might be worth mentioning: if you don't make a deal with a fellow board member (or if logistics get in the way or whatever), perhaps paying the consignment fee to a local/reputable auction house makes more sense for your situation. That way they look after all the risk/shipping/etc. Sure they take a "pound of flesh" % but when I had to move large volumes of collectibles it made a lot more sense (for my situation at the time) than trying to do the research, take the pictures, list them on eBay, etc. Good luck either way, looking forward to the pics

hemihampton

Reaction score
Seen this Electric Bitters that sold on ebay. Link below.

crocke28

Reaction score
I agree with the above comments. For sure, post a few pics. I've found the members here to be honest and very knowledgeable when it comes to at least giving you an idea of what you've got.

Might be worth mentioning: if you don't make a deal with a fellow board member (or if logistics get in the way or whatever), perhaps paying the consignment fee to a local/reputable auction house makes more sense for your situation. That way they look after all the risk/shipping/etc. Sure they take a "pound of flesh" % but when I had to move large volumes of collectibles it made a lot more sense (for my situation at the time) than trying to do the research, take the pictures, list them on eBay, etc. Good luck either way, looking forward to the pics
Thanks - I decided going forum route when I started in my milieu I found people to be genuinely helpful there. I’m not sure it would be worth the pound of flesh, and we don’t really have that anyways (not why we are looking to sell the lot of them, either).

It’s also interesting to see that people collect and are knowledgeable about things I’d have never thought to be upwards of $100 (I need to bolo for some Muskegon bottle that is). I just learned bottle digging was a thing a few months ago; I only ever studied old maps and metal detected for coins. Unusual stuff for some 30-somethings, but we’re old souls.

hemihampton

Reaction score
I bet you have a old Privy on that Farm House Property probably full of Bottles. Maybe a old Dump out Back??? LEON.

Old man digger

Reaction score
Will do - unfortunately the room with them has brown recluse spiders and no light - such is life in a farmhouse!
I do not blame you for avoiding an Arachnid that will cause necropsy wherever it bites you!!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen