Crude Triangular Jar with Pontil & Tooled Rim Ancient or Just Old?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Moshe Mayim

Reaction score
I found this wide mouth triangular shaped jar at an estate sale. It looks like the oldest and crudest bottle by far that I have ever found in the last 50+ years of digging and looking. I recently found a pre-Columbian stone Olmec face pendant that dates to around 1500-2500 years old so it is still possible to find ancient things today. Could this date back to Roman times or is it from the colonial period? Or is it just old like around 150 - 200 years?
Description: approx. 4" tall x 3" x 3". Glass is very thick with angled ridges around the bottom portion. The top edges of the rim have strange surfaces that look done by hand, not ground down, to smooth the surface. Nice crude open pontil on bottom. I know bottles were still very crude and primitive up to the late 1800's so maybe this is not that old. Comments or suggestions pointing me to possible answers or other examples are most welcome. Thank you all for looking.

Attachments

• bottle01.jpg
    bottle01.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 149
  • bottle02.jpg
    bottle02.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 117
  • bottle03.jpg
    bottle03.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 106
  • bottle4.jpg
    bottle4.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 117
  • bottle05.jpg
    bottle05.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 121
  • bottle5.jpg
    bottle5.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 118
  • bottle07.jpg
    bottle07.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 112
  • bottle09.jpg
    bottle09.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 122
  • bottle0x.jpg
    bottle0x.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 146
  • bottle08.jpg
    bottle08.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 141

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Could you post a picture of the base? My first inclination is that it's fairly modern art glass, although it does look like it's got some staining or wear so if that wasn't added artificially it would suggest some age. I'm pretty certain that this is a vase rather than a jar, the shape just wouldn't make sense for a jar. That crude top looks suspicious though, I would think that a decorative vase would have had more care put into it than that. This sort of thing definitely isn't my specialty though, hopefully others with more knowledge can chime in.

Moshe Mayim

Reaction score
Hi, I added a picture of the base. The glass is thick, cloudy/foggy and looks so old to me. The bubbles are all sorts of sizes and in clusters. Looks so primitive. I thought it may have had a triangular cork stopper like in antique jars. Thanks for your impressions.

Moshe Mayim

Reaction score
also, maybe that isn't an pontil on the bottom. It has scratches in the a tool would make, maybe when blowing the glass. There is a term cracking off or burst off glass which blew the glass and then chipped away the rim. https://sha.org/bottle/finishstyles3.htm Good night.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
That is a pontil on the base, although not the type you most commonly see on American bottles. It looks like it's got some wear on the base too, which is a good sign. I'm really not sure what to make of it at this point. It doesn't look like the sort of pontil you see on art glass typically either.

Moshe Mayim

Reaction score
Thanks for your comments. It has been on my What is this shelf for months and then I discovered this site so maybe someone will be able to identify it eventually. It is a crazy looking piece unlike anything I have ever found before. Nothing online looks like it either.

Reactions: Roy

Roy

Reaction score
Thanks for your comments. It has been on my What is this shelf for months and then I discovered this site so maybe someone will be able to identify it eventually. It is a crazy looking piece unlike anything I have ever found before. Nothing online looks like it either.
You certainly have my curiosity going...
I spent quite a while looking online for anything even slightly similar to that piece of yours and I find nothing at all like it. Maybe its one of a kind.
I hope someone can identify it.
Nice piece.
Roy

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
A smaller chance but perhaps an early battery jar. They can be crude looking too.
..Hey Roy, I didn't know the Olmecs made it to greater Waterbury. ;) As Lisa from the Simpsons used to say, "Toltecs, not Olmecs." --CONGRATS ON YOUR FINDS. :cool:

Roy

Reaction score
A smaller chance but perhaps an early battery jar. They can be crude looking too.
..Hey Roy, I didn't know the Olmecs made it to greater Waterbury. ;) As Lisa from the Simpsons used to say, "Toltecs, not Olmecs." --CONGRATS ON YOUR FINDS. :cool:
If they did Len,they must have paddled up the Naugatec River. Roy

• Haha
Reactions: Len

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Some day remind me to tell you a story about Tulum...:p

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads