DO U REMEMBER THE EARLY COLLECTORS ?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

whosyerdaddy

Reaction score
anyone remember the early collectors. men like Charlie Gardner, judge Blaske, Hal Wagner, Watson the bitters man, Roy Brown, Sam Greer, and the list goes on. John Thomas the great western whiskey collector. How about Gene and Betty Blasi ? The driving forces behind the old Louisville club and shows. Betty wrote the definitive book on "balsams" and Gene wrote a great book on Louisville medicines. Have an autographed copy of each. wouldnt take a buck and a half for both of them. lol how about our very own Mike Russell. he has been around awhile. never met him but would like to. very knowledgeable in several fields. but for all the "famous" collectors for me there are just as many "lesser known" collector friends. how about Mike Shinkle, Bud O'Conner, Russ Moore, Felix York evr heard of them i have. im sur u have people like that. just quietly go about collecting bottles. u see boys they are all part of that giant fabric we are proud to call "bottle collecting" keep it growing people whosyer daddy !!

Pontiled

Reaction score
Senior Citizens of America member #1 reporting for duty (yeah, a retired Colonel reporting for duty!). I remember a lot of them, especially at the old Pennsylvania Bottle Collectors Club functions at the old show locations (that's PRE- fairgrounds) and other related activities. Good people, good memories, good stories! Unfortunately, I haven't met any of the newer ones that you mentioned. May be a "Senior moment" or they just didn't stand out at the moment (Sorry).

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Some real Greats there !!!
I would add Judge MacKenzie to the list ! McKearins and Covill's also should be added.
They all did a lot for the " Bottle Collecting " hobby !
Brian

whosyerdaddy

Reaction score
PONTILED, face it man i used to see uer name in print all the time in the old "mags" lol whosyer !!

whiskeyman

Reaction score
WHOS...I met Gene Blasi at Louisville a couple of times and I used to have his balsam book.[:(]
I've also been fortunate enough to meet Mike Russell...(Hi Mike)....
and Sheldon Baugh, Norman Heckler, John Wolf, Digger O'dell, Jim Hagenbuch , Tom Feltman, Norm Barnett, and many others in the Hobby that I consider as my Friends.

Member FOHBC
Member RABCA
Author of: Spirits & Medicinal Bottles of Bristol,TN-VA.

Pontiled

Reaction score
Whosyer, they weren't Wanted posters in the Post Office? Ha Ha!

You should check Minerals Today, The Minerals Yearbook, The Advanced Materials Society, and lots of others that were my real specialties! I got tired of those and retired. Haven't retired from bottles though.

Pontiled

Reaction score
What ever happened to Tom Feltman? We were good friends for such a long time and then moving and changing addresses sort of put an end to letter writing, etc. I miss him.

whosyerdaddy

Reaction score
PONTILED i think he is still digging in st. louis i see a user on ebay called tomf and i think that mioght be him check it out hes always selling on there hope i can help u2 reunite lol whosyer !!

whiskeyman

Reaction score
TOM is still active last I heard....I think the Region Reports section of Bottles & Extras magazine usually has some diggin' news about him.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cehobson