dr. j.hostetter's stomach bitters

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jays emporium

Reaction score
In my digging experience in South Texas about 80% if the bitters are Hostetters. I've probably found about 50 whole ones. Once in awhile I find a Columbo Peptic or Lash's that somebody probably bought by mistake thinking it was Hostetters. One time I dug a Yochim Bros Stomach Bitters and threw it aside with the Hostetters until I looked at it closer. They sell pretty good at flea markets for $10. to anyone who just wants an original Bitters bottle. Of course the real early ones are better but the ones here date from 1890-1920.

bottlediger

Reaction score
Im with you Rick, Over the 16 years of digging I have yet to find a piece of one. I have found maybe just a dozen or so bitters whole over the years (not counting atwoods) and each was differnt some rare some not so rare. I wouldnt really want to find one unless it was super crude or a werid color anyway. I just sold two hostetter's at the local bottle show last week, they were my buddies. One for 5 bucks and one for 3 bucks lol...

Digger Ry

glass man

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: E

I gotta figure that Hostetter's was some tasty/potent stuff as it seems whenever I have found a dump with one, several are soon to follow. I dug one particular dump in Suffolk years ago that must of had 100 of 'em in it. I only kept a couple but my wiser brother carted off dozens. He has since used them as give-aways for friends and relatives = really makes their day to get such nice-looking shelf bottle.

Around Richmond "Chelf's Celery Caffiene Compound" seems to be to most ubiquitous bottles to me. Again, must have been highly addictive stuff as some family dumps have yielded hundreds of them, kinda sad when you think about it. I THINK IT WAS 80 PROOF ALCOHOL! AS TEMPERENCE MOVEMENT GOT BIGGER MORE PEOPLE HAD TO "TAKE MEDICINE" ALOT MORE!

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen