Dump Discoveries - Two separate dumps, one location - one 1920s/30s, one 40s-60s

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Sitcoms

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Many of these bottles have found their way onto other threads and posts here, but I figured it would be easiest to make one big thread and continually update it as I plan on visiting this site A LOT throughout the course of this year! This particular site holds two dumps - one large former town dump (like 2-3 acres), and a much smaller late 20s-30s dump in the river bank, but are easily within walking distance of each other and I often visit both during the same day if the weather and river levels allow.

A bit more background: I've been able to date the town dump to the post-WWII years (~1947) until about 1962-65, when the dump was capped with fill (rocks, concrete, bricks, etc.) and then a layer of soil over the top. The area is rather hilly, with many valleys leading down towards the river. Often they would back right up to the edge and dump, and when the piles got too large they would burn them to remove the wood, paper, etc. There are thousands of intact and broken bottles scattered throughout the area, and many from this dump have heavy rust staining and some are melted/damaged from the heat of the fires.

The older dump is located directly below where a bridge once stood to carry traffic over the river, with the abutments still standing along the higher banks. This particular river was once much wider and deeper (a dam downstream was removed in the late 90s/early 2000s), and the bridge across it was in a location slightly more upstream. The approach roads to this bridge were treacherous (steep downhill then uphill, with near-90 degree turns at the ends), and by the late 30s plans were in motion to replace it with a more modern bridge higher above the water line and without the treacherous approaches. WWII delayed the building, but by 1948 the new bridge was built and the one that stood previous demolished. The spot I've found the most bottles/metal items is directly below where the downstream edge of the bridge would have been.

Now onto the part that everyone wants to see - the bottles! I've tried to organize these as best I could, but I've taken hundreds of bottles from this site (and left at least 3x what i've taken!). These are all from last year - I've been twice to the more modern dump this year, but recent snowfall has sent me back inside. The river that the older dump is in isn't accessible due to high water levels in recent months.

I have cleaned up/closer up photos of most of these bottles, so if any are of particular interest let me know and I can show some more detailed photos. These are a mixed bag as I usually just take all the pictures once I'm home.

image0 (4).jpeg
image2 (2).jpeg

image1 (2).jpeg
image3 (1).jpeg
image4.jpeg
image5.jpeg

image6.jpeg
image7.jpeg

RCO

Reaction score
does that cup say " post office bathurst NB " meaning its from Bathurst New Brunswick ? Canada . seems odd they'd just make 1 cup , wonder if it was part of a set or a souvenir ?

hemihampton

Reaction score
nice looking cup. any old rusty beer cans in the dump? Leon.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
That enamel sign is fantastic! Those are the main reason I pay attention to mid-century dumps (although usually not enough to actually dig much). The ACLs look like they're in great condition too, hopefully the paint stays on once they're cleaned. And I love the Freedom 7 token and Bathurst cup. I think those souveneir cups were a common thing back around the turn of the 20th century. I've got a similar one with a view of Sudbury on it, which is a surprising thing to put on a souvenier cup, because that was a very bleak and polluted skyline in those days.

Sitcoms

Reaction score
does that cup say " post office bathurst NB " meaning its from Bathurst New Brunswick ? Canada . seems odd they'd just make 1 cup , wonder if it was part of a set or a souvenir ?
Yep - Customs House and Post Office, Bathurst, NB. I'm about 250-300 miles to the southwest of Bathurst (though its over a 6 hour drive), and I assume it was a souvenir from someone who had visited. In this same spot I found a broken candy dish from Brunswick, ME - I ended up repairing it and use it as a place for notes on my desk. Sadly the Brunswick, ME wording is almost completely worn off

Sitcoms

Reaction score
nice looking cup. any old rusty beer cans in the dump? Leon.
A lot of the small iron items (especially cans) in this dump took a beating from the wetness of the area (and Maine as a whole), and very few cans I pull out of this dump are salvageable. The most I find are some tin (I think) automotive oil cans, can't remember the brand off the top of my head.

Sitcoms

Reaction score
That enamel sign is fantastic! Those are the main reason I pay attention to mid-century dumps (although usually not enough to actually dig much). The ACLs look like they're in great condition too, hopefully the paint stays on once they're cleaned. And I love the Freedom 7 token and Bathurst cup. I think those souveneir cups were a common thing back around the turn of the 20th century. I've got a similar one with a view of Sudbury on it, which is a surprising thing to put on a souvenier cup, because that was a very bleak and polluted skyline in those days.
Even though the bottles in the 60s-70s dumps aren't worth really digging, I enjoy the hunt enough to make it worth it. I've had the chance to clean up several of the ACLs - most are strong enough to handle a quick bath in muriatic acid to remove much of the rust. A lot of the time it's the non-bottles I end up pulling out that are more exciting - like the Freedom 7 token. I've also pulled plastic calendars from 1960-61, a Shell credit card from that same period, cigarette cases, license plates, etc.

I mentioned it in my reply to RCO above, but I agree it was a souvenir cup from having visited Bathurst right around that 1900-1920 period from what I can tell. Definitely something different to find when you're arm-deep in mud!

Sitcoms

Reaction score
Got out for a very wet, muddy session this past week - needed to get out after weeks of very poor weather. Some nice finds this time too - here are some of the best!
Two Father John's Medicines (two sizes), A "Linit", "Perma Starch", and LESTOIL at the back. The one on the right is a Pierre Smirnoff with an embossed crown.
image0 (6).jpeg
image1 (4).jpeg

Took a few porcelain pieces too. I think the shark/whale was a salt shaker or toy of some sort - the woman figurine was a part of a larger piece. I'm stumped on the dog - made in Japan by Alco, but other examples are planters or pencil holders - which doesn't make sense here.
image2 (4).jpeg
image3 (3).jpeg

I've been searching for one of these Elm City Beverages that was whole - theACL is pretty beat, but nice to finally find one. Is the F.A. Richter & Co. a late throw away - I normally don't find cork tops in this dump. The last is a different variant of a Bayer Aspirin than one I've seen - "The Bayer Company Div" on the sides.
image4 (2).jpeg
image5 (2).jpeg

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acrgator