Dump Discoveries - Two separate dumps, one location - one 1920s/30s, one 40s-60s

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Got out for a very wet, muddy session this past week - needed to get out after weeks of very poor weather. Some nice finds this time too - here are some of the best!
Two Father John's Medicines (two sizes), A "Linit", "Perma Starch", and LESTOIL at the back. The one on the right is a Pierre Smirnoff with an embossed crown.
View attachment 254460View attachment 254461

Took a few porcelain pieces too. I think the shark/whale was a salt shaker or toy of some sort - the woman figurine was a part of a larger piece. I'm stumped on the dog - made in Japan by Alco, but other examples are planters or pencil holders - which doesn't make sense here.
View attachment 254462View attachment 254463

I've been searching for one of these Elm City Beverages that was whole - theACL is pretty beat, but nice to finally find one. Is the F.A. Richter & Co. a late throw away - I normally don't find cork tops in this dump. The last is a different variant of a Bayer Aspirin than one I've seen - "The Bayer Company Div" on the sides.
View attachment 254464View attachment 254465
I was so certain that the dog was a pipe holder, but apparently it's actually a letter holder. It used to have a metal spring fitted into that slot on the back which you could put letters in:
1713064848844.png

Sitcoms

Reaction score
I was so certain that the dog was a pipe holder, but apparently it's actually a letter holder. It used to have a metal spring fitted into that slot on the back which you could put letters in:
View attachment 254467
Ah! It seems they made a ton of different styles of this, with various minor applications. I'm sure I could find a replacement spring - the piece is otherwise in great conditions aside from a little rust staining in a few spots. Thanks for finding this!

Sitcoms

Reaction score
With the last week off I was able to visit this site a few times, though early in the week finds were minimal as I was confined to the more modern dump - the standard Vicks and Noxzema jars, national-brand sodas (Nesbitt's, KIST, Pepsi), and other strange shape/design bottles that I end up taking. Didn't take many pictures of those as there wasn't much to get excited about.

The river where the 20s-30s dump is has been running very high following a very wet winter, with a few late winter/early spring snow storms. Finally the end of this past week the levels had receded enough that I dared enter the waters (and very quickly filled my waders with water). Even after getting soaked I trudge on, and it seems it was well worth it! Here are a few of my better finds:

image0 (7).jpeg

image1 (5).jpeg
image2 (5).jpeg

T. Elsmore & Son, Tunstall, England. The design is a classic Aesthetic Movement design, dating back to 1878. This is a later re-manufacture of the design, I'd guess ~1915?
image3 (4).jpeg
image4 (3).jpeg

Grindley Hotel Ware, Shandon, England. They used this name/stamp until January of 1933.
image5 (3).jpeg
image6 (2).jpeg

Hard to see this one, but it's a Greenwood Co. of Trenton, NJ dish. Maybe used for soap or something similar - it was also hotel ware.

Sitcoms

Reaction score
Continued:
image7 (2).jpeg
T. Noonan & Co., Boston, Mass. Some kind of hair/barber product.
image8 (1).jpeg
Bunch of common jars - French's, unbranded ink, Carter's ink (about 1/4 full), and a Vaseline.
image14 (1).jpeg
image10 (1).jpeg

this, by far, was the find of the day! After posting on a local group I was informed that this is a pretty rare bottle, and directed to a Pepsi bottle collector's page. This bottle is ranked as a rarity 4 in the collector's guide, produced between 1908 and 1910.

swalker1867

Reaction score
got a local river in Oakdale Ca called the Stanislaus! The bridge that crosses has been a bridge since around 1890 the River had a barge that crossed the river before that. The reason i mention this is i have never thought of bottle digging the river where the bridge crosses before! Hell of a idea, Ill ry it out next time we run low on water here in ca. Good day to you and i'm watching!

willong

Reaction score
Quite the assortment of old goodies you are finding in those two dumps Sitcoms!

I find the enameled Gulf sign, souvenir tea cup, T. Noonan & Co. toiletry, the amber Pepsi of course, the letter-holder dog :D and others quite interesting.

Others items are a nostalgia trip for me as I consumed or used the products they one contained more than a half-century ago.

The Bubble Up bottle--I'm surprised you didn't find an RC Cola bottle to go with it--reminded me that I've long sought bargains. Both Bubble Up and RC Cola soft drinks were sold in 16-ounce containers for the same price (15 cents, plus 3 cents bottle deposit) as the more popular 7 Up and Coca-Cola sodas that contained 12 ounces or less when I was a kid. I would scour several blocks of my rural neighborhood looking for deposit bottles discarded along the roadside. On a good day, I might find half-a-dozen; then, off to the little corner grocery store* that was less than a block from my parents' house to redeem the deposit value in the form of a fresh soda!

Not recognizing the shape for what it represents--guess I interpreted it as an Art Deco architectural theme--I zoomed right past the Mercury Capsule token on my first scrolling. I'm embarrassed by that because I was quite the space nerd at the time!

* That store was already operating for years when we moved into the neighborhood in 1958. What surprises me is that it is still there in the latest satellite imagery!

1714319115911.png

See the "Corner Market" above at intersection of Arrow Route (old Route 66) and Calabash Avenue. That tan roof to left of bottom of image is the house my dad bought new in 1958. Together with two acres of land, it cost him $10 K as I recall. While just north of the Kaiser Steel Plant, the area was scattered homes among many poultry farms ("Egg ranches" we called them) and vacant fields. It's all shipping and industrial/commercial firms now. I'm glad we got out of there in 1967!

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Looks like you're into a great spot there! And likely older than you initially thought as well, since it looks like you've got a couple of BIM bottles. Possible they could be late throws but seems more likely the dump dates back to at least the 1910s.

Sitcoms

Reaction score
Looks like you're into a great spot there! And likely older than you initially thought as well, since it looks like you've got a couple of BIM bottles. Possible they could be late throws but seems more likely the dump dates back to at least the 1910s.
Seems to be se - the bridge that spanned this spot had been here since at least the 1870s or 1880s, so very possible that older layers are washing out - next to this bottle was an aqua blob top soda - sadly with a hole punched out of the back and a slick (with just the "this bottle not to be resold" wording).. We've had some serious rain and lots of high water levels over the last 6 months, and it's changed the bathymetry of a lot of the rivers here. Hopefully more items of this age bracket to come!

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acrgator