Early James Kinlen bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RoyalRuby

Reaction score
Found this bottle while walking the edge of a nearby lake at a fishing spot I go to occasionally. The water has receded and so it was exposed and just laying on the surface. Back side is unfortunately broke out but at least the front displays well. A quick search only brought up a Hutch style ( shown on Worthpoint) with the same name but location was listed as Niles Ohio rather than Youngstown like my bottle, wondering if anyone here might have the same bottle. Also I couldn't confirm the the bottle maker mark, any help there would be great, my bottle and the Hutch shown on Worthpoint...;) :)
20231103_121548.jpg
20231103_121735.jpg
1_84f678e254bb18d03e01037c864a2fa4.jpg

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
When you say maker's mark, are you referring to the K on the bottom? Because that's not a maker's mark, it's Kinlen's initial. The owner's initials were often put on the base of soda and milk bottles so that competitors' bottles could quickly be identified and removed during the refilling process.

RoyalRuby

Reaction score
When you say maker's mark, are you referring to the K on the bottom? Because that's not a maker's mark, it's Kinlen's initial. The owner's initials were often put on the base of soda and milk bottles so that competitors' bottles could quickly be identified and removed during the refilling process.
Yes, the K on the bottom. I figured it was his initial. Thanks for clarifying.

RoyalRuby

Reaction score
Oddly I picked up another bottle yesterday from the same time period with a completely different name that doesn't start or end in the letter K, but it too has the large K on the bottom. I'll post a picture soon.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Oddly I picked up another bottle yesterday from the same time period with a completely different name that doesn't start or end in the letter K, but it too has the large K on the bottom. I'll post a picture soon.
If the bottle has the name of the company on it, rather than the owner, the K could be the initial of the owner's surname. I've seen that done sometimes as well.

RoyalRuby

Reaction score

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A Giles