Fake Hillbilly Mountain Dew

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bhaze

Reaction score
Is this fake? I know the bottles with the hillbilly on the neck that are looking to the right instead of the left are rare but this one doesn't look quite right....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTGAGE-MOUNTAIN-DEW-BOTTLES-ITIL-TICKLE-YORE-INNARDS-/140602631170?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20bc91e402

bikegoon

Reaction score
Is the one on the left (looking at pic) the one on question?

One thing is for sure, scammers are starting to fake anything these days[:mad:]

I cant answer your question, but I wish we had pics of the base's of those bottles.
I emailed the seller about the bases.

That one looks very crisp and bright.

Hmmm

bikegoon

Reaction score
Here is a hillbilly dew fake
https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/m-141593/mpage-1/key-fake%252Cmountain%252Cdew/tm.htm#142040

morbious_fod

Reaction score
The comments were that the auction was fake, because they were using a stolen photo of the bottle. The clear 7oz Barney & Alley Mountain Dew bottle is a real bottle, not a fake.

As for the one that started this thread, I don't know. First off the auction never mentions anything about this bottle being special let alone rare. Second of all why would anyone fake the most common Mountain Dew bottle by turning the hillbilly a different way and then not even mention it in the auction? It is more likely that this is a production error rather than someone trying to create a fake in order to milk someone for more money from a dirt common bottle.

acls

Reaction score
An un-named Dew bottle just like that one with Willie facing the wrong way was on ebay about 5 years ago.

morbious_fod

Reaction score
Well there's two. One other thing is that you will notice that both bottles appear to have a lightly caked on layer of dirt, usually faked bottles are perfectly clean. Only time can create that caked on dust look.

bhaze

Reaction score
But then again, looking at the bottle on the left in the picture, the outhouse to the left is really red and lacking the white to show that the door is slightly open like the one in the bottle on the right. And whatever it is that is above the pig is a lot thicker and homemade looking than the detailed one on the right.

morbious_fod

Reaction score
Looks like the one I'm looking at on my shelf right now, aside for the hillbilly turned the other way, the only thing you can see on my outhouse is a small white spot where the moon should be. Sometimes these acls aren't always exactly the same every time. Many times the different glass makers have different screens which produce a different effect when completed.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mohib