First crock lid, some nice little bottles, animal horns + more!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Sitcoms

Reaction score
The latest trip to this dump (generally 1920s-1930s it seems) didn't produce as many whole items (tons of broken pieces), but still some nice finds!

This is the first *almost* whole piece of crockery that I've found, and the design on it is pretty killer. From what I can tell the horns are probably cattle, and were all found in the same hole by touch (underwater and could not see). The spoon does have a stamp on the end; is there any way I can easily tell what material this is made from? From others I've talked to we think the brassy bell-shaped object is from an old ceiling light, to cover where the wiring would enter the ceiling (it's very light and the metal is easily split). The gauge is a Boyce Motometer style radiator gauge/cap, specifically for a Chevrolet, though this one has seen better days.

For bottles, most of these are slick but I'll take interestingly-shaped or designed bottles if they fancy my eye. Sadly the whiskey only has the size on it (4/5 quart), and I took the "pickle jar" next to it simply due to the size. The corker with the white junk inside simply has the size (3 oz), and both the small perfume/food and medicine in front of those are completely slick. For embossed bottles I was able to pull an Hires Home Extract, Baker's Indian Rootbeer Extract, A.Trask's Ointment (I think this is the clear variant of the Trask Magnetic Ointment, but this bottle does not say magnetic: https://www.antiquebottles-glass.com/trask-magetic-ointment-bottles/), and a Waterman's Ink , complete with the original stopper and what I assume is an ink/groundwater mixture (too liquid-y to be ink).

Sad that this dump seems to be slowly running dry, but maybe if the water line is lower next time it'll be easier to spot things that were washed out by the recent heavy rains. Here's to hopefully finding more!

image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg
image4.jpeg
image5.jpeg
image6.jpeg
image7.jpeg
image8.jpeg
image9.jpeg

Sitcoms

Reaction score
Here's a bit more info I've found on the embossed bottles:
Hires Household Extracts: https://www.fohbc.org/PDF_Files/HiresRootBeer_DonYates.pdf - from what I understand these are pretty common.

I find tons of Baker's from every time period it seems. Based out of Springfield, MA.

The A. Trask bottle is an interesting one. I believe it's A. Trask's Magnetic Ointment, though this bottle does not say magnetic anywhere. There's a nice bit of information on the company and its different bottle styles over at https://www.antiquebottles-glass.com/trask-magetic-ointment-bottles/ ; I have yet to take the cork out to clean the inside, but it seems this one may be clear, not the more common aqua variant.

Newtothiss

Reaction score
I've only found 1 crock lid that was undamaged. What size is that?

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I like the design on that crock lid! The ones I'm most familiar with are much plainer. As for the spoon, the hallmarks might tell you what it's made of, just visually I assume it's some sort of copper alloy that may have once been silver plated.

historic-antiques

Reaction score
The latest trip to this dump (generally 1920s-1930s it seems) didn't produce as many whole items (tons of broken pieces), but still some nice finds!

This is the first *almost* whole piece of crockery that I've found, and the design on it is pretty killer. From what I can tell the horns are probably cattle, and were all found in the same hole by touch (underwater and could not see). The spoon does have a stamp on the end; is there any way I can easily tell what material this is made from? From others I've talked to we think the brassy bell-shaped object is from an old ceiling light, to cover where the wiring would enter the ceiling (it's very light and the metal is easily split). The gauge is a Boyce Motometer style radiator gauge/cap, specifically for a Chevrolet, though this one has seen better days.

For bottles, most of these are slick but I'll take interestingly-shaped or designed bottles if they fancy my eye. Sadly the whiskey only has the size on it (4/5 quart), and I took the "pickle jar" next to it simply due to the size. The corker with the white junk inside simply has the size (3 oz), and both the small perfume/food and medicine in front of those are completely slick. For embossed bottles I was able to pull an Hires Home Extract, Baker's Indian Rootbeer Extract, A.Trask's Ointment (I think this is the clear variant of the Trask Magnetic Ointment, but this bottle does not say magnetic: https://www.antiquebottles-glass.com/trask-magetic-ointment-bottles/), and a Waterman's Ink , complete with the original stopper and what I assume is an ink/groundwater mixture (too liquid-y to be ink).

Sad that this dump seems to be slowly running dry, but maybe if the water line is lower next time it'll be easier to spot things that were washed out by the recent heavy rains. Here's to hopefully finding more!

View attachment 249371View attachment 249372View attachment 249373View attachment 249374View attachment 249375View attachment 249376View attachment 249377View attachment 249378View attachment 249379View attachment 249380
And it looks like people threw out cattle heads in their local dumps after butchering them...we'd never see that today...

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen