First Privy/Well Ive Ever Dug

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

photolitherland

Reaction score
I havent made a post on here in forever because I lost my camera cord but oh well, anyways... I have been looking for a privy forever and I just havent gotten around to buying a probe but today I was walking around one of the areas first homestead sites and I just happened to come across the houses privy dating possibly from 1850-1870 since thats when the home was there. It was partially caved in probably due to settling and I started digging it and and right away I started to find pottery shards and then I found a screw top bottle dating probably from the 1970s and then a little further down bottles from the 50s. Then I dug another 4 ft without finding anything and then I started to come across more crap from the 1950s. Im sure the privy is very deep but it was getting dark so I had to head off but why would a stone lined circular privy or well have crap from the 50s through 70s in it? The house had been destroyed around 1920 or so and nobody has lived out in or near where this farm pasture is. Do you think it could have been previously dug and thats why it had caved in and then had been filled with modern junk? The bricks and stones used in the privy clearly are from the mid 1800s but then again, I didnt dig all the way to the bottom and still probbly had 10 feet to go to reach it. Do you think its worth it to dig the entire thing out? Or do you think all the old relics have been dug out and then modern fill had been put in its place for some reason?

Jim

Reaction score
RE: First Privy Ive Ever Dug

That seems unusually deep for a rural pit. It sounds more like a well being that deep. If it is a privy, there is always a possibility that older material is at the bottom. I have dug pits that had many feet of screw-cap junk in the fill that ended up with pontiled material on the bottom. Of course, those pits were in town. Most rural pits around here are only about 4-5 feet deep, and most (but not all) of them are not worth the effort it takes to dig them. Since you have that much work into it already, I would say go for it, take it to the bottom and see what's in there. Be very careful though, as it could be a well and very deep. A long probe would be a good idea. ~Jim

photolitherland

Reaction score

Yeah, I think it was a well, and therefor probably 40 ft deep maybe. The house though belonged to one of the founders of the city where I live so there could be some cool stuff down there but a 150 year old well I wouldnt imagine would be very stable after you get down a ways. Probably wouldnt be worth dying over and all.... I have seen some people in Missouri not far from where I live dig wells that are 40 feet deep, dont think Im crazy enough though to do something like that. I love bottles and all but damn.

Just Dig it

Reaction score

Yeah ..they built those nice little decorative houses over them for a reason = ) t keep people and animals out..dont think id climb in one...best of luck.

Jim

Reaction score

Yes, if it is a well, I would leave it alone. Too deep, too dangerous and very likely to be not worth your troubles. There is still a privy around that place somewhere, although it may be very challenging if not impossible to find. Good luck finding the privy or a good dump. ~Jim

GuntherHess

Reaction score

people didnt throw trash in thier wells so if it got filled it wasnt until it was out of use.
Wells are not normally worth the effort and risk.

daeldred

Reaction score

Hey Photo,

We dig pretty close to your area and might be able to give you some insight on what you have going on. If the hole is circular and about 4-5' across then it could have been a well or a privy. It's hard to say some times. Gunther is right though, people didn't throw trash in their well until they stopped using it. If it is in a rural area that could have easily have been in the 1950s. Who knows? As far as it being safe to dig, if it is brick-lined your fine, but if it is stone-lined then I would go near it alone!! The major issue you have is getting the buckets out all by yourself...next to impossible with any depth. In general though, if you are digging at any depth you should have a companion. You never know what could happen. Small cave-ins from shallow trash dumps are enough to end a good digging career.

This is a link of us digging out a 35' well/privy. I think it was a well, because this area received water lines in 1880 and it was full with early 1880s stuff. http://www.thememphisdiggers.com/30feetdown.htm

zanes_antiques

Reaction score

If your site was inhabited by wealthy people then there should be good trash in all of the holes but the well. Like someone already mentioned, rural wells were used very late. You said the house burnt in the twenties so my guess is that it has been filled in slowly for almost a hundred yrs. Not too much you couldnt find in a dump and dumps are much safer. I will not dig any more wells if I can help it.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaveL