Help with some Estate Sale Bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
There is an estate sale going on later this week and I saw some bottles that I can't seem to find online or I'm only seeing one for sale. I'm new to this and was hoping I could get your opinions.
The Dispenza Hutchinson bottle I can't seem to find any prices online. The Hutch book has it as Scarce if I'm reading it right.
The J. Mullins I found one for sale for about $90. It's hard to get an average price when there is only one example. The John White Chemist is at $100 in the only one for sale. Must be pretty rare if medicine bottle is that much? And the blob top soda bottle says "Never Sold". I can't seem to find that one either. I see some " Not to be Sold". Is that a reproduction?
Which ones do you find interesting? If any? Thanks.
They also have some stoneware. I'm thinking I may try and do a bundle deal on two or three?
J Mullins is a common bottle. Not worth $90. Maybe $9. The other prices seem high too. I got this one for $5.
ROBBYBOBBY64

Attachments

• 20220610_072255.jpg
    20220610_072255.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 77

Hogtown Hunter

Reaction score
Thanks Robby. I thought you might know about the NY bottles. The sale is by appointment only and I couldn't get there Thursday or Friday. The guy running the sale said he had several calls from people interested in bottles. So I'm not expecting there to be many left when I go tomorrow, Saturday.

Hogtown Hunter

Reaction score
So I got to estate sale on the last day and all the bottles I was interested in were gone. The two hutchinson bottles, the blob top and the two tone ginger beer bottles. The jug was still there and was at $15. Didn't see any markings/stamp so I passed on it. The few left were only $5 so I did get the John White medicine bottle.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
So I got to estate sale on the last day and all the bottles I was interested in were gone. The two hutchinson bottles, the blob top and the two tone ginger beer bottles. The jug was still there and was at $15. Didn't see any markings/stamp so I passed on it. The few left were only $5 so I did get the John White medicine bottle.
I'd say you did pretty well with the John White for $5 since it looks like an earlier one. It's the only one other than the Hutches that I would have been interested in if I saw it at a sale. Does it have a pontil?

Hogtown Hunter

Reaction score
I'd say you did pretty well with the John White for $5 since it looks like an earlier one. It's the only one other than the Hutches that I would have been interested in if I saw it at a sale. Does it have a pontil?
Yes. The guy selling the one on etsy has it dated 1870s?. Money was burning a hole in my pocket so I left estate sale and went to antique store. Found this Florida Brewing Hutch. It's a commen one but came home with something.

Attachments

• 20220611_201623.jpg
    20220611_201623.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 20220611_204038.jpg
    20220611_204038.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
I've never seen a mark on those dark brown pourers. If you find one with a mark that passes your condition test at a fair price, pick it up.

Hogtown Hunter

Reaction score
I've never seen a mark on those dark brown pourers. If you find one with a mark that passes your condition test at a fair price, pick it up.
I've never bought a jug in my life. I'm new to this. How would I know if this wasn't made by someone as a hobby project? I wouldn't know the difference. Thanks for coming on here and trying to make me look dumb Len. I'll remember that

hemihampton

Reaction score
If your Yes was a Yes to it's got a Pontil, I did not see a Pontil? LEON.

P.S. How much was the Hutch?

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
"I like big jugs and I cannot lie." :cool: Nothing wrong with smaller versions.:) Hogtown Hunter, someday you'll come across a jug/crock and it will set off the "I could be interested in this" something inside you. Perhaps it might look good on a step of that staircase. (Then picture one on each stair.) Maybe its from a town near you. Could be the labeling, like a whiskey, for example. Then your interest will spark a little research and ta-da, you're no longer a rookie. Everybody was one at an earlier point. Btw, I think you are smarter than you realize, as demonstrated by your tag sale and prior posts skills. Pottery in general is not easy. Its a lot of work. A lot of beginners drop out. Hobby projects are usually the kind of thing that Grandma makes at the senior center. (Well intended efforts, made with love, but poorly painted, etc. etc.) Just keep an eye out for the obvious. You'll know. Like a mt. lion's track from bear's! ...That cannon isn't loaded right?

Hogtown Hunter

Reaction score
"I like big jugs and I cannot lie." :cool: Nothing wrong with smaller versions.:) Hogtown Hunter, someday you'll come across a jug/crock and it will set off the "I could be interested in this" something inside you. Perhaps it might look good on a step of that staircase. (Then picture one on each stair.) Maybe its from a town near you. Could be the labeling, like a whiskey, for example. Then your interest will spark a little research and ta-da, you're no longer a rookie. Everybody was one at an earlier point. Btw, I think you are smarter than you realize, as demonstrated by your tag sale and prior posts skills. Pottery in general is not easy. Its a lot of work. A lot of beginners drop out. Hobby projects are usually the kind of thing that Grandma makes at the senior center. (Well intended efforts, made with love, but poorly painted, etc. etc.) Just keep an eye out for the obvious. You'll know. Like a mt. lion's track from bear's! ...That cannon isn't loaded right?
I apologize for getting so defensive. I know most of you guys have done this for decades. That's why I'm here. Trying to learn. I'll try and refrain from making dumb statements but it comes naturally. Haha.

The Florida Hutch was $25. Probably not worth that but wanted another for Florida collection.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krähemijers