How many milligrams of caffeine do you get each day?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Jet Coaster Fan

Reaction score
Yesterday I had 2, 20 oz mountain dews, a large 30+ oz iced tea and a 20 oz pepsi at my job and got over 245 milligrams of caffeine in total. Yay!!
How much milligrams of caffeine do you get each day?

epackage

Reaction score
0 since I only drink mineral water...When I was your age probably as much as you, never thought to brag about it or make any sort of point about it though..

Plumbata

Reaction score
Usually 0mg, but when I get the craving for coffee I keep it below 150mg. I've had some absolutely godawful experiences with high amounts of caffeine. On the worst occasion (maybe 500-600mg ingested that day) my extremities clenched up uncontrollably, my diaphragm was extremely tight and it felt like I was suffocating, my vision got dark and blurry, and I had pins and needles tingling all over my body. Felt like I was dying [&:]. I then had the worst flu/illness/migraine in my life for 4 days afterwards.

I learned my lesson and am now quite careful with stimulants. You should be careful too.

RedGinger

Reaction score
One to two cups of coffee in the morning is about all I can take, but I do need it. I'm with epackage, mineral water is the best! I can drink a whole tall bottle of that in a day.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Carbonated water is my best friend in the universe.. I go through 24 hours per gallon.. how many ounces per hour would that be.. on average??

epackage

Reaction score
5.33333333333333333333333333333333333333 per hour...

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Thanks, that's what I got too, but I cheated and used a calculator app on my telephone.. reminds me, I need a drink...

epackage

Reaction score
Perfect example why Caffeine isn't such a great idea....

For many of us who march in the sleep-starved army that is the American workforce, it’s as critical to our survival as air, food, and bad reality TV: Caffeine. Beloved, energizing, career-preserving caffeine.

But here's a word of caution to you true overachievers: the slightly sweaty/foot-tapping/takenobreathsbetweenwords caffeine junkies. For you, coffee was the gateway drug -- to energy drinks and, later, to energy shots. Too much of a good thing may help shrink that massive work stack before the 5 p.m. whistle, but it also may kill you -- or just land you in the hospital.

Case in point: The 22-year-old woman who arrived at an emergency room complaining of upper abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting and a slight fever, according to the June 22 edition of the Journal of Medical Case Reports. A scan of her midsection was normal. She was sent home. She returned, however, even sicker, and bathed in a yellowish tint -- jaundice -- meaning her liver was failing. Doctors diagnosed the woman with acute hepatitis.

The staff checked her for viruses, alcohol and drugs. Nothing. Then the woman revealed a key part of her diet over the previous two weeks: 10 bottles of 5-Hour Energy per day.

Math time, lady: If the product indeed provides a five-hour boost, that two-week binge totaled 700 hours of “energy.†There are only 336 hours in two weeks. Must have been one hell of a deadline.

Doctors believe the woman overdosed on one ingredient: niacin -- also called vitamin B3 -- which can damage the liver when ingested in high amounts. She was successfully treated and discharged after her symptoms vanished.

Makers of 5-Hour Energy print recommendations on their labels: “Do not exceed two bottles†per day. The shots “contain caffeine comparable to a cup of … coffee,†they add. The drink’s sales pitch: “Zero sugar. Four calories. No waiting. No hassles.â€

“Energy drinks are propped up by all sorts of sexy marketing, but they’re not as magical as the ads would have you think,†says TODAY nutritionist Joy Bauer. “The ‘lift’ they give you comes from caffeine -- nothing fancy there. … The high doses of B vitamins and amino acids they dump in are purely for glitz and glam -- they don’t actually help you instantly perk up.

“Energy shots offer a very concentrated dose of caffeine, which makes it difficult to stop when you feel like you’ve had too much, unlike if you’re slowly sipping a cup of coffee.â€

But even coffee has its human limits, according to the website energyfiend.com -- which offers a macabre calculator to reveal the fatal dose of nearly any caffeinated beverage, based on body weight.

A 130-pound person, for example, would “be pushing up daises†after guzzling 151.67 cans of Mountain Dew, the site estimates. And for a 200-pound person, the site warns, “Gulp down 143.68 cups of Starbucks Tall Cafe Mocha nd you’re history.â€

In that case, hold the whipped cream.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krähemijers