Illinois Glass?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

TRG3406

Reaction score
I have the attached bottle with clearly embossed panels on both sides: I. C. Co. It would seem to be from Illinois Glass when they had a period (1870-80) of using I. C. Co. rather than I. G. Co. However, there is a seam at the neck that goes to the rim, suggesting a machine-made, so a much later date. Any comments, clues, or DSC_0005 (2).JPGexperience? Thanks!

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I can't make out the seam, does it go all the way to the top of the lip? The base doesn't look like an ABM bottle to me from what I can see. Regardless, I don't think there's any way that the markings have anything to do with a glass company, unless maybe it was a salesman's sample bottle. A bottle actually intended to hold a product would never have such massive embossing indicating who made it, because why would a medicine company want to buy bottles that advertised someone else's business? Regardless, it's a really nice bottle! Hopefully someone has an idea of what the initials stand for.

TRG3406

Reaction score
Thanks for your comments. Yes, the seam goes to the top of the lip, and yet I agree the base does not look like most ABM products. It even has a few small bubbles that make me wonder when it was made??? It may always be my "mystery bottle" but I'll let you know if I find out more information. Thanks again!

DavidW

Reaction score
Hi TRG346, that bottle is definitely not from Illinois Glass Company.

The initials might stand for a medicine/pharmeutical company. The "I G CO" mark used by Illinois Glass Company is nearly always on the bottom of a bottle or in small letters along the lower heel area.

TRG3406

Reaction score
Thanks, DavidW. I think you are right as I have also read that the mark for Illinois Glass was on the bottom. I have done extensive "research" and cannot find anything/anyone connected with the I. C. Co embossing so the mystery continues...thanks for your comments!

DavidW

Reaction score
Thanks, DavidW. I think you are right as I have also read that the mark for Illinois Glass was on the bottom. I have done extensive "research" and cannot find anything/anyone connected with the I. C. Co embossing so the mystery continues...thanks for your comments!
I found a possible company: Interstate Chemical Company, Baltimore. Although the bottle shown is entirely different, that company DID use the I.C.CO. initials!!!
(I would imagine that the initials indicate "I___?________ Chemical Company". Some pharmaceutical / patent medicine companies in the 1800s used the phrase "Chemical Co" in their official company names.

See the bottle listed on Worthopedia here:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/red-cross-paregoric-laudanum-bottle-153151541

sandchip

Reaction score
Doesn't appear to be ABM to me either. Seeing a few vent nipples here and there, although it's not unheard of for molds to have been adapted for use in an ABM. Not seeing an Owens ring or valve mark either, but hard to really tell from the angle in the picture. Don't have a clue about the embossing. Nice bottle though.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AuctionAnnie