indian chief bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

okiedog

Reaction score
I've done alittle digging from time to time. I have some favorite spots and most of them are old city dumps from the 30's on up to 60's. I've found some neat things and I'm pretty sure I've missed alot. I get excited when I find old liscense plates or bottles that help me to date my dig. I can't pass up a marble or some other piece of metal type object that grabs my attention.
after all that I get down to a question that I would like feedback on. I have dug some old indian cheif pop bottles(two to be exact) they are not identicle but simular. I wander of thier value? any one have any knowledge that would be of interest relating to these type bottles?> just curious!!!!
GREG

drjhostetters

Reaction score
okiedog...

wanna hear a sad story of an old embossed bottle I found?....I was walking along highway 78..32 miles from Burns, Oregon, when a bottle bottom caught my eye in the barrow pit...I dug around it, and pulled it out..alas the top 1/3 of the bottle was broken off (I know now I should have dug deeper to see if the top was buried deeper to try to glue it back together..but that's not the story line)...I started to throw it away when I noticed the bottle was embossed with the likeness of an Indian Chief in full headdress, I cleaned it off the best I could and saw embossed on the bottom.."bottled at coca-cola bottling plant, Burns, Oregon, 1906 (or 5 or 4 or 7..I forget..i'm getting old!) Anyway..even though it was broken, I thought the inscription was worth having for my collection..I took it home and put it on the widow sill above our kitchen sink with he intention of washing it up and puttin it on display....I forgot about it for several days and when I went back it wasn't there..and when I asked my wife about it..she got a funny look on her face and said.."I thought it was just a broken bottle and I threw it away."

She learned not to throw any more of my stuff away after a very stern lecture about ..." old broken bottles. end of story...sad but true...[:(]

Drj

dhgb2

Reaction score
There are a lot of differant bottles with Indian chief,s on them. Over a hundred in Sodas alone. Big Chief was bottled by the CoCa - CoLa co. Older ones are impossed and newer ones are painted label Look up www.thesodafizz.com and you can get all kinds of information DHG

Maine Digger

Reaction score
hey Okiedog, Here in Maine there used to be a company called Casco Soda, and they're trademark was an embossed Indian Chief. I think they went out of business in the late 1960's ( I'm not sure as I'm not a native maniac). They're a great looking bottle, I've found two walking along old no longer used wood roads, as well as the old Moxie and Crush bottles. Check out the other web sites. It would be interesting to see how many 'Indian Chief' bottles you could identify, then start collecting. Two down, about 80-100 to go?

okiedog

Reaction score
sure is a neat thing to read from others about like interest. i thank everyone who takes the time to chat. thanks!!!!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday