labeled and embossed S.F. pill bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Wilkie

Reaction score
Here is one of my favorites from my collection. It is an unopened pill bottle with the label and seal still intact. It is from San Francisco, pre 1900. The pills are like little bb's, they look like they were rolled into little balls by hand. It is aprox. 2 3/4" tall with the enclosure.

The label reads "CARBOVEG. 6 (Hom. Pharm.) Particularly useful in derangements of the digestive organs, and in the weakness which often follows acute diseases; flat (unreadable), colic, offensive breath, bleeding gums, canker of the mouth, spasms of the stomach, and water-brash. Dose -- Six pellets every one or two hours, or two drops of the tincture ; children one-half, infants one-fourth that quantity. Prepared by Boericke & Runyon Co. Homoeopathic Pharmacists, 231 Sutter Street, San Francisco

I find the labels pretty interesting.

07A61808648E435D85BF51B9471E7F9E.jpg

Attachments

• 07A61808648E435D85BF51B9471E7F9E.jpg
    07A61808648E435D85BF51B9471E7F9E.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 91

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
What's water-brash? Acid-reflux?

I love the old wording - sounds so evil - derangements of the digestive organs...

I love old labels!

glass man

Reaction score
I COULD USE ME SOME OF THOSE! BOUT EVERY THING IT HELPS ,I HAVE! WHEN THE OLE STOMACH GETS TO CHURNING FOUL SMELLING STUFF COMES UP AND OUT. THESE PILLS WOULD TAKE CARE OF BOTH THOSE! COOL BOTTLE AND THE COVERED TOP LOOKS LIKE THEY COPY TODAY ONLY NOW IT IS PLASTIC THAT IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO GET OFF SOME TIMES! JAMIE

dcoffin5

Reaction score
This bottle is totally cool. Is that seal on top made of lead wrapped over a cork?

How did you come to have this gem? Never opened, with seal & label...Awesome.

Wilkie

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: dcoffin5

This bottle is totally cool. Is that seal on top made of lead wrapped over a cork?

How did you come to have this gem? Never opened, with seal & label...Awesome.
You are correct, it appears to be lead wrapped over the cork. This was an eBay purchase a few years back.

surfaceone

Reaction score
flat (unreadable)

Hello Tim,

That is a great bottle! Pristine as can be.

I gotta believe that it cured flatulence, too. Sure coulda used some, after this past thursday's Burrito-rama.

Is there anything impresssed in the seal? What is the embossing on the glass? Thanks for the fine photo show.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrykevin