Muskoka lakes swim finds summer 2016

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
another swim at main location , didn't find anything that interesting , oldest bottle was aqua " JD Brown " spring water bottle but its broken and only found half . also found 3 browns beverages , 5 coca cola , 2 - 7 up , pepsi , stubby , green 7 oz bottle , kist , 2 crush , ndnr , 2 beer bottles and an old jar lid

P8020005.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
found a few more bottles last week at regular location , another broken JD brown spring water bottle , 4 browns bevrages , 5 coca cola , tab no deposit ,Canada dry 7 oz bottle , 2 - 7 up , 2 kist , beer bottle and some no deposit bottles , also found an olive jar and it still had olives in it , oddly they were still greenish even though had been underwater so long .

p.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
the tab no deposit bottle and olive jar/bottle , didn't get a picture of it with the olives but there still was olives in it when found

tab.jpgolivejar.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
on another swim found another one of the Canada dry ginger beer bottles , missing most of the acl , didn't really find anything else at this spot other than some modern beer bottles . its odd I hadn't found one of these bottles ever before but found 3 so far this summer .

P8110001.jpg

coldwater diver

Reaction score
the tab no deposit bottle and olive jar/bottle , didn't get a picture of it with the olives but there still was olives in it when found

View attachment 173882View attachment 173883
Hey RCO very cool to find it full w olives. I found a canning jar one summer day packed w blueberries or something like. I said this is cool I will bring it home to show my wife. Left it on the porch in the sun and thats where I forgot about it until I said "What the He** is that Smell", I cant quite describe it but it was a nasty smelling mess. The top blew off from the pressure trapped inside, nasty.
Have you checked on the river that runs to the lake from Bracebridge? Just looking at the maps it seems like a spot I would check out if I lived out there.

RCO

Reaction score
Hey RCO very cool to find it full w olives. I found a canning jar one summer day packed w blueberries or something like. I said this is cool I will bring it home to show my wife. Left it on the porch in the sun and thats where I forgot about it until I said "What the He** is that Smell", I cant quite describe it but it was a nasty smelling mess. The top blew off from the pressure trapped inside, nasty.
Have you checked on the river that runs to the lake from Bracebridge? Just looking at the maps it seems like a spot I would check out if I lived out there.

I was thinking it start to smell if I left them in and put it in trunk of car , so I just tossed them in the bush , they actually didn't even look that bad considering how long they had likely been there .

no I've never really checked that part of the river , there is 2 public parks that feature small waterfalls just north of bracebridge . swan at one once but didn't find anything there . there isn't a lot of public access on that part of the river , mostly private homes and land along it . is a large park rate near downtown bracebridge , some kids go swimming there and old steamboats used to stop there , I'm sure there is bottles there but location where its likely they are is too deep for me to just swim to . bracebridge also used to be much more industrial than it is today , was 2 large leather tanneries not far from town along the river , really don't want to know what you'd find from them .

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I doubt that you'd run in to any health risks from 19th century tanneries. Unless it's something like a lead smelter I wouldn't be too concerned with remnants of 19th century industry. Speaking of which, have you ever gone looking for 19th century dumps around Bracebridge or the similar towns around there? It's remote enough that serious diggers may have never made it up that way and undeveloped enough that the town dump may still be accessible. To me that's the first thing I'd be focusing on, I've never lived close enough to a town like that to spend a lot of time looking for the dump but I've seen other diggers have great results from towns that size.

RCO

Reaction score
I doubt that you'd run in to any health risks from 19th century tanneries. Unless it's something like a lead smelter I wouldn't be too concerned with remnants of 19th century industry. Speaking of which, have you ever gone looking for 19th century dumps around Bracebridge or the similar towns around there? It's remote enough that serious diggers may have never made it up that way and undeveloped enough that the town dump may still be accessible. To me that's the first thing I'd be focusing on, I've never lived close enough to a town like that to spend a lot of time looking for the dump but I've seen other diggers have great results from towns that size.

the only dumps I've found were at small farms which had been abandoned by now and grown in with tree's , I've never like found an actual town dump , there is semi modern now closed maybe 50 era dumps outside of both Huntsville and bracebridge but I doubt the town would ever allow someone to dig them up . as to where the original 19th centrury dumps would be ? is a mystery , back at the turn of the century all the tree's here were cut down and logged so an area that might of been empty back then could now be fully forested or a swamp/wetland type area

RCO

Reaction score
some bottles I found on a recent swim at main location - 8 brown's , 4 coca cola -oldest 36 , 2 pepsi , 1 patio diet cola , 1 old green bottle , 1 stubby , 1 orange crush , 2 kist , 1 diet rite cola , 1 7 up ndnr , 1 whiskey , 1 medical bottle

P8160003.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaygause