New Coke collector here with some newbie questions

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

groverdill

Reaction score
Hi all. I've just developed an interest in glass Coke bottles, and I have some questions for the experts. I posted a question over on the "general bottle" forum, which they answered, but they recommend posting here on the soda forum. So, by the numbers, here are some of my questions.

1. What year did they start releasing the Coke bottles with Christmas designs?

2. I assume full bottles are more desirable than empties, correct? And how the heck can I photograph an empty bottle? All the ones I did came out.......less than spectacular.

3. Is there a complete list of Coke bottles somewhere? I'd like to know what I'm up against!

4. What about those aluminum bottles I see once in a while? Are they available to the general public, or do you have to get one at a special event like the Olympics?

5. How do I find out about current releases? For instance, when do the Christmas bottles come out?

That's all I'm gonna bug you with for now. I know my questions are very amateurish, but I'm just getting started with this addicti......er, hobby. Feel free to offer any tips or advice that my questions didn't cover. Thanks in advance.

Mike

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Groverdill / Mike ~

Welcome to the forum.

You may already have seen this as I have posted it a couple of times recently. If not, please check it out. I call it "Coca Cola Bottles 101" It may not answer all of your questions, but it should help to answer some of them.

SPBOB

The Dating Game: [align=left] [/align][align=left] Tracking the Hobble-Skirt Coca-Cola Bottle[/align]
By: Bill Lockhart and Bill Porter

September - October 2010

LINK: http://www.sha.org/bottle/pdffiles/coca-cola.pdf

[align=right]
[/align]

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Additionally ...

It appears you are somewhat into Coca Cola Christmas / Santa Claus related stuff. Check out this other link that has a complete listing of the Santa (back cover) ads for National Geographic magazine going as far back as the 1930s.

SPBOB

Safe Link: http://www.shigitatsu.com/GEOGRAPHIC/coca.htm

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
3. Is there a complete list of Coke bottles somewhere? I'd like to know what I'm up against!
Short answer, NO. Longer would be that new examples of old Cokes are still being found and new commemorative and promos are always coming out. You've got a thousand (more?) of known bottles before you'll have worry about running out though.[:D]

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Speaking of Commemorative bottles ...

The link below will take you to the most comprehensive list I know of. It may not be complete, but it sure has a bunch of them. And be sure to click around, especially at the very bottom where it says "Collection." There you will find refrences to a number of other Coca Cola bottles, some with dates.

I hope this helps.

SPBOB

Link: http://www.angelfire.com/pop2/collectorscorner/PriceList.html

groverdill

Reaction score
WOW!!! That's awesome!!! Those links will keep me busy for a while.
Yes, I do like the Christmas themed bottles. I've always liked Christmas (At age 47, I still like to believe there's a Santa Claus!), so I'm concentrating on getting all of those before moving on to other commemeratives. Actually I'm concentrating on standard Coke bottles of various sizes as well, while also picking up the occasional various commemeratives, as long as they're relatively inexpensive. So far, I'm having a BLAST going to antique shops, yard sales, and flea markets and finding new bottles to get. As a bonus, my girlfriend loves the fact that I'm now into "antiqueing" because it's something we can do together. I don't know if I'll ever go digging for bottles, but it does look like fun if you know what you're doing. Maybe some day. Thanks for the replies and links.

Mike

celerycola

Reaction score
Have a case of Christmas Commemoratives, mixed years for cheap.

I'll be at bottle shows in IN and MI in the next couple of weeks.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cehobson