New Coke collector here with some newbie questions

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cc6pack

Reaction score
Mike

Here's a piece of advertisment for the 88 Christmas Cokes

48BEFB49C7A44F058863C57C1A1EE0F1.jpg

Attachments

• 48BEFB49C7A44F058863C57C1A1EE0F1.jpg
    48BEFB49C7A44F058863C57C1A1EE0F1.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 82

digdug

Reaction score
Hey Mike,
Welcome to the forum AND welcome to the Coca-Cola collecting world! You ought to check into joining the Coca-Cola Collecotrs Club. I am a member and love it. A monthly newsletter, regional meetings and shows, plus a National Convention every year. It will be held in Atlanta this year. You can find everything imaginable at the Conventions, and talk about bottles! You will be on Coke bottle over load!
here is the website: http://www.cocacolaclub.org/
If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.
Doug

Anthonicia

Reaction score
Empty or Full????

That's a question I have asked myself before too. Well, what does everyone else think? I prefer empty to full, but that's just because there is a danger to break when shipped due to freezing in the upper atmospheres. I also don't like pondering whether I should open it and dump it out or leave it sealed.... Good question.

celerycola

Reaction score
I've emptied contents from several sodas dating from the 1920's to the 1970's. It often gets below zero in the winter and a storm can know out power for days. I would rather have an intact bottle than a broken one.
ORIGINAL: Anthonicia

Empty or Full????

That's a question I have asked myself before too. Well, what does everyone else think? I prefer empty to full, but that's just because there is a danger to break when shipped due to freezing in the upper atmospheres. I also don't like pondering whether I should open it and dump it out or leave it sealed.... Good question.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I too prefer empty bottles ... and although this may sound crazy, here's why ...

A full/capped bottle makes me feel like it still belongs to the company who bottled it. Whereas an empty one has been tossed out and is up for grabs as a collectible. But on the other hand, I feel just the opposite about the hundreds of old postcards I collect. I prefer those un-posted and not written on. So go figure. Sometimes you feel like a nut, and sometimes you don't. Lol [:-]

SPBOB

groverdill

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics, links, opinions, and advice. I never gave thought to a full bottle freezing and breaking. That makes sense. To those of you who prefer their bottles empty, do you keep the caps on the empty ones? Or would that be silly?

I've been looking at Ebay, and it seems there are hundreds of Christmas Coke bottles out there, if you include other countries. Of course, I'll be limited by price, so I'll not be getting all of them.[:D] But I can try! And I'm kinda liking those aluminum bottles I see. If I ever find some, I'll add them to the collection. How do others feel about them?

Mike

Anthonicia

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: groverdill

Thanks for the pics, links, opinions, and advice. I never gave thought to a full bottle freezing and breaking. That makes sense. To those of you who prefer their bottles empty, do you keep the caps on the empty ones? Or would that be silly?

I've been looking at Ebay, and it seems there are hundreds of Christmas Coke bottles out there, if you include other countries. Of course, I'll be limited by price, so I'll not be getting all of them.[:D] But I can try! And I'm kinda liking those aluminum bottles I see. If I ever find some, I'll add them to the collection. How do others feel about them?

Mike

As for keeping the bottle caps, no it isn't silly at all. The only silly thing I see people do is have an old bottle and fill it up with new soda and put a cap that is not from that era on the top and say it has never been open. I had a guy swear up and down that he had had this mountain dew since he bought it from the store and it still has the mountain dew up to the tippity top. (Ok, let me break it down for him) First of all the bottle cap is from the 70's while your dew is from the 60's. Second of all, the soda shouldn't be up to the top, not hardly, it evaporates over time. It usually leaves about 2/3 full from a bottle from the 60's. But, regardless, it won't be filled all the way up even from the factory. They leave a little air gap there.

I like the aluminum bottles, but I don't know too much about them. I bought one of the green label Mountain Dew aluminum bottles. Are the Coke one's hard to come by??? Sorry for another long post. Hope I gave you some tips to look for when looking at "unopened" bottles. You know, I don't know what his motive was to lie about the bottle being unopened. Wasn't like he was asking more for it. Oh well...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cehobson