New here, digging in ash pit.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Hladnopivo

Reaction score
I've been digging in an ash pit & making some decent finds. I'm new to hunting bottles, but I've hunted for arrowheads for years. (Looking for arrowheads, I don't excavate... Just find 'em on the surface... But it's trained my eye to pay attention to minute changes in the soil & stones.

Long story short. There are some old stone foundations out in the woods. I've seen pottery sherds & coal out there for years.
I dug some test pits and stumbled upon some fairly decent finds. Many are, sadly, broken!

Listen to these heart breakers:
Dr. Fahrney's Old Reliable Home Preparation for Home Use, Henry K Wampole, Van Duzer's extract, Karl Hutter Beer, a green HANBURY SMITH VICHY WATER bottle, Hinds Honey and Almond Cream, 2 c. 1890s Kilner Bro's glass co. mineralwater bases embossed "KBLᴰ". (both manufactured at the Thornhill Lees plant in Dewsbury, Yorkshire, England between Leeds & Huddersfield.)
Torpedo bottle bases!
And many varied bottle finishes (blob, flared, straight, double ring, mineral, crown, whiskey, extract ring, patent, prescription, oil, brandy etc...)

But there were some intact bottles!
Voilà!
IMG_3323.jpeg

1 Eagle Brewing Co of New York
1 Jacob Ruppert Brewer
1 Bailis Bros (sadly broken but kept anyhow)
1 Van Duzer's extract
1 Lysol
1 Lysterine
1 Carbona
1 Larvex
1 Mentholatum jar
2 aqua-colored bowling pin shaped mineral water bottles.
Some Owens, Owens-Illinois & other unlabeled pharmacy bottles, & some unlabeled household products like ink.

I'm trying to identify the mineral water bottles. They are aqua colored, crown finished, thick bodied, have mold scars & lots of bubbles. I think that it was made with a key-and-hinged two piece mold.
IMG_3364.jpeg

IMG_3372.jpeg

In addition to the bottles and some clay pipe stems, I also found an old pocket-watch!
IMG_3377.jpeg

Overall great dig!
P.S. Any tips on identifying bottles (or cleaning the watch!) are greatly appreciated.

Hladnopivo

Reaction score
Sweet.
What state?
This is the Hudson River Valley in New York. I think this site is an old farm, and the ashpit is outside of an old horse-stable and/or barn. I find cow, pig and chicken bones, plowshares, horseshoes and farriers tools. And a LOT of carpenters nails from the mid 19th century. I know what those look like because my grandmother lives in an old horsestable from the 1850's, so every time we do repairs we wind up staring into a mystery when we open up the wall! There are all sorts of things are in there!

lisacachecreek8!

Reaction score
Neat bottles. I too, have looked for arrow heads. I find them on top just walking the fields. Mine are small belonging to the Wintu (i think thats how its spelled) tribe. Maybe the biggest is an inch long. What size are yours? Also have lots of beads. Only a couple are redish color, the rest whitish almost looking like marble.

Hladnopivo

Reaction score
Neat bottles. I too, have looked for arrow heads. I find them on top just walking the fields. Mine are small belonging to the Wintu (i think thats how its spelled) tribe. Maybe the biggest is an inch long. What size are yours? Also have lots of beads. Only a couple are redish color, the rest whitish almost looking like marble.
Just about 2 inches. I also found a spear-point about 5 inches long

UnderMiner

Reaction score
Too bad the Bailis Bros. bottle is broken, I found one long ago that was also cracked. I'm pretty sure I threw it away because it was a safety hazard. Unfortunately since then someone has been contacting me trying to buy it because they're related to the Bailis Bros . But I don't even think I have it anymore to sell even if I wanted to. I wonder if it's a rare bottle since your broken one is only the second one that I have seen. According to the purported Bailis relative contacting me they have never been able to find one anywhere. Perhaps they may be interested in your example.

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score
This is the Hudson River Valley in New York. I think this site is an old farm, and the ashpit is outside of an old horse-stable and/or barn. I find cow, pig and chicken bones, plowshares, horseshoes and farriers tools. And a LOT of carpenters nails from the mid 19th century. I know what those look like because my grandmother lives in an old horsestable from the 1850's, so every time we do repairs we wind up staring into a mystery when we open up the wall! There are all sorts of things are in there!
Any bottles in Grandma's walls?

Hladnopivo

Reaction score
Any bottles in Grandma's walls?
So we've only really done work in the attic and a wall that was modified in the 40's recently. Just some 20's crap in there... Newspapers with headlines about Woodrow Wilson and old beer cans, one or two Jacob Rupert bottles and a Prince Albert. I'm keepin' them anyhow.
But I'm sure there is some older stuff in there somewhere. I know that beneath the house is a thick layer of oyster shells and sand. Likely something down there. Problem is that the whole house is surrounded by concrete and pavement! But one of these days I'll have to get down there!

hemihampton

Reaction score
So we've only really done work in the attic and a wall that was modified in the 40's recently. Just some 20's crap in there... Newspapers with headlines about Woodrow Wilson and old beer cans, one or two Jacob Rupert bottles and a Prince Albert. I'm keepin' them anyhow.
But I'm sure there is some older stuff in there somewhere. I know that beneath the house is a thick layer of oyster shells and sand. Likely something down there. Problem is that the whole house is surrounded by concrete and pavement! But one of these days I'll have to get down there!

Old Beer Cans, That's my specialty & pay top dollar. Pm me what you found. THANKS, LEON.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen