New site on 1873 map but found 1900-1930 bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

TexasRancher

Reaction score
Is this your collection Leon? I did not know cobalt blue hutchingsons existed in mass quantities or are they just from Detroit, MI? Do you own them all? How come i never see these blue hutch bottles on e-Bay for sale? Are they rare, ultra rare?...would you consider selling a few...do you sell them...at bottle shows...or are they your pristine kept collection? What is that about 9 questions. This kind of stuff amazes me.

hemihampton

Reaction score
The Bottles in pic are mine & is probably less then 5% of my collection. All Bottles in pic from Michigan & all are different, some just variations. you'll see the Detroit Norris blue Hutch & Lomax Chicago Hutch most often on ebay. I sold my extra Blue Hutches on ebay a few years ago. Some of these are pretty rare. my Amber Detroit Hutch rarer. LEON.

sorry, don't want to hijack this post.

scubabottler

Reaction score
The Bottles in pic are mine & is probably less then 5% of my collection. All Bottles in pic from Michigan & all are different, some just variations. you'll see the Detroit Norris blue Hutch & Lomax Chicago Hutch most often on ebay. I sold my extra Blue Hutches on ebay a few years ago. Some of these are pretty rare. my Amber Detroit Hutch rarer. LEON.

sorry, don't want to hijack this post.
Gorgeous bottles, pictures like that literally drive me to go out hunting and find my 1st!

TexasRancher

Reaction score
I'm up in the finger lakes area near Seneca and keuka
The reason i asked...to see if you're close...planning a trip to Mannsville next year to re-hunt my old bottle hunts of youth and do some colonial coin era metal detecting. If you're interested in digging roadside gullies....wagon era roads.

willong

Reaction score
My impression is that it was an isolated load of trash, I don't really see ashes so maybe it was a cleanout near the end of the period the house was inhabited. From the sounds of it the primary dump is probably somewhere else. They may have been more fastidious than normal and buried their trash instead of chucking it in the ravine, or maybe they dumped it further away beyond the extent you walked, or maybe there was a hollow/depression they used and filled up which wouldn't be as obvious as a ravine dump. Check the start/head of the ravine if it's reasonably nearby, many times dumps would be located at the beginning of a ravine and they would fill it until level with the surrounding land and keep working their way down. It kept things more tidy and contained and was easier to "cap" with soil to cover the mess.
All good points for the new searcher to consider!

Newtothiss

Reaction score
I can't even verbalize the negative feelings I have for you east coast diggers...

TexasRancher

Reaction score
I'm down in the fingerlakes area near Keuka. A trip up towards Watertown could be fun
I'll touch bases with you next year...when i head up...see if you want to meet...bottle, metal detecting i know good areas.

VernorsGuy

Reaction score
I'm a novice looking for some insight from those more experienced than myself regarding a new site I searched for bottles. I found it on a 1873 map in upstate NY, it is now state forest. Nothing remains of a homesite, no foundation. I did find a narrow well that was improved. Nearby, at the edge of a ravine about 15' high I found some broken glass. I started removing the surface leaves and found what I think was the remains of a box spring ....just really rusty coils. Under the coil area I found a ton of glass! Later I wondered why my finds were mostly late teens thru early 1930s considering the age of the site. All this glass was found within the 1st 4" or so in an area 2ft x 6ft, after that it seemed to turn to clay, tough to dig and the glass stopped. Couldn't find any other dump areas and so my question is, do you think I should go back and dig deeper? Other wierd thing about my finds were bottles were 90% medicine type bottles, no sodas, beers or alcohol. Thought that was wierd. Iron found suggests a wooden gate was nearby. This seemed more like a dump because it had battery parts, a horseshoe etc... I walked the ravine, nothing. Is it possible I just didn't dig deep enough?
Hello scubabottler! I can only speak from my experience with Vernor’s Ginger Ale. It’s the oldest continuously produced soda pop bottler in the US. Started in 1866. From 1866-1896 you could only buy it at a soda fountain. No bottles. In 1896 the first bottles were siphons. Starting about 1904 you had individual pop bottles - but all returnable with deposits. There are a ton of those early bottles in collections and available for sale because they weren’t buried. If you’re finding soda pop bottles from the teens to 1930s that‘s about as early as you’re going to get IMO.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen