First Privy Dig

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

East_Tn_Bottle_Guy

Reaction score
Hello, all! It's been a long while since I last posted and an even longer while since I've actually looked for bottles because I've been getting into traditional woodworking. But that's not why I'm here. I'm here to show the bottle I just found. But first, some context.
I've posted before about bottles I found in the attic of an old farm house that my family moved into a couple years ago. It's a century farm in East Tn that has been in the Brown family (not my family) since 1835. Unfortunately, I'm not sure where the original house was built, but the one currently standing is at least 100 years old (I think over been told it was built in the 1920s but the style was popular in the 1890s and the bottles I found in the attic seemed older than 20s).
So, the privy. There's 2 dips in the yard next to the house that for a long time I've been wanting to dig. One weird thing though is that it's upwind soooo... doesn't seem like the smartest idea to me but on the other side of the house is a road, so it might have been the only option. But I stuck my soil probe (I need to get a bottle probe but don't have one) into the hole and around it and, honestly, it felt softer next to the hole than in it. I was confused but was like "screw it" and dug the hole anyway.
At first there wasn't much glass (kind of disappointing because I've found more glass that the chickens scratched up and digging a ditch for water pipes than the actual bottle hole lol). Then there was shards and pieces of a flower pot. "OK. So it's not just an accidental shard. There's actually something here."
I kept digging and found more shards and flower pot pieces and metal junk. Then, I put my shovel straight down onto the side of something and pushed down. At first I didn't know if it was a rock or bottle, but then saw glass and was astonished that it didn't break in half. I pulled it out and... it was WHOLE! At first I just saw one side and thought it was slick... then flipped it over and BAM! Surprise number 2! It says
"SC Wells & co
Leroy, N.Y."
And on the sides it says
"established" "in 1870"
It's not too old (could someone help me date it? Sorry I only have one picture right now. More tomorrow), but it's the first privy bottle I've dug and it's embossed.
I'll dig more tomorrow.
20240313_203040.jpg
20240313_203101.jpg

Last edited:

East_Tn_Bottle_Guy

Reaction score
are you sure it's a privy? I'm getting the impression a Trash Pit. How deep did you dig? did you hit bottom? Leon.
Now that you say that it might not be a privy, that kinda makes sense. Because
(1) it's upwind (2) the ground didn't seem any softer in the hole than around but that could, at least partially, be attributed to the probe (3) I've found glass in other places just as much as in the hole (4) I haven't found any sides and I think there's typically wood sides? Or at least something to keep the hole from caving in. (5) there's some 70s? stuff that I've found but the house would have had indoor plumbing by that point.
I guess I just told myself it was a privy and didn't give it many second thoughts. It could be a trash pit, but it's literally 40 feet from the house. So I would think not because that would look bad? It's a nice farm house, not just a little podunk country home, so I wouldn't think they would have put a trash pit that close. And I've found other dumps 100 yds from the house down a road next to the river and off a little cliff. So a 3rd site would be kinda weird? Especially that close to the house?
Obviously I'm not ruling out a trash pit, it's just a weird situation... or maybe it's cut and dry and I'm overthinking it lol.
I'm only about 2-3 feet deep right now because I only dug for about an hour today. I'll expand the hole tomorrow and see what happens. Maybe some more information will clarify things.
Thanks for the reply!

THE BEAR

Reaction score
Hello, all! It's been a long while since I last posted and an even longer while since I've actually looked for bottles because I've been getting into traditional woodworking. But that's not why I'm here. I'm here to show the bottle I just found. But first, some context.
I've posted before about bottles I found in the attic of an old farm house that my family moved into a couple years ago. It's a century farm in East Tn that has been in the Brown family (not my family) since 1835. Unfortunately, I'm not sure where the original house was built, but the one currently standing is at least 100 years old (I think over been told it was built in the 1920s but the style was popular in the 1890s and the bottles I found in the attic seemed older than 20s).
So, the privy. There's 2 dips in the yard next to the house that for a long time I've been wanting to dig. One weird thing though is that it's upwind soooo... doesn't seem like the smartest idea to me but on the other side of the house is a road, so it might have been the only option. But I stuck my soil probe (I need to get a bottle probe but don't have one) into the hole and around it and, honestly, it felt softer next to the hole than in it. I was confused but was like "screw it" and dug the hole anyway.
At first there wasn't much glass (kind of disappointing because I've found more glass that the chickens scratched up and digging a ditch for water pipes than the actual bottle hole lol). Then there was shards and pieces of a flower pot. "OK. So it's not just an accidental shard. There's actually something here."
I kept digging and found more shards and flower pot pieces and metal junk. Then, I put my shovel straight down onto the side of something and pushed down. At first I didn't know if it was a rock or bottle, but then saw glass and was astonished that it didn't break in half. I pulled it out and... it was WHOLE! At first I just saw one side and thought it was slick... then flipped it over and BAM! Surprise number 2! It says
"SC Wells & co
Leroy, N.Y."
And on the sides it says
"established" "in 1870"
It's not too old (could someone help me date it? Sorry I only have one picture right now. More tomorrow), but it's the first privy bottle I've dug and it's embossed.
I'll dig more tomorrow. View attachment 253555View attachment 253556
Be sure to look down the wall studs from the attic. Found some of my best bottles there.

East_Tn_Bottle_Guy

Reaction score
Be sure to look down the wall studs from the attic. Found some of my best bottles there.
Yeah that's where I found em all. It's full of blown in insulation so I couldn't see anything and was just sticking my hands into it until I felt something. I had a mask on but was still wheezing by the time I was done. Still super fun tho.

East_Tn_Bottle_Guy

Reaction score
ANY UPDATES?
I doubled the size of the hole in both footprint and depth. It's a little over 5 feet deep now and has about a 6x6 footprint. Found a clorox bottle, a plastic topped flask from 1957?, a pickle jar, a 50s mason jar, a listerine bottle, and a teal marble. I'll take a picture tomorrow. It rained this morning so I couldn't dig all day and probably won't be able to for the next couple of days.

East_Tn_Bottle_Guy

Reaction score
ANY UPDATES?
I doubled the size of the hole in both footprint and depth. It's a little over 5 feet deep now and has about a 6x6 footprint. Found a clorox bottle, a plastic topped flask from 1957?, a pickle jar, a 50s mason jar, a listerine bottle, and a teal marble. I'll take a picture tomorrow. It rained this morning so I couldn't dig all day and probably won't be able to for the next couple of days.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Most of the ones I dig are about 3x3 or 4x4. 6x6 big for a privy if it's a privy. after digging about 100 privies & 50 trash pits you can tell the difference between the 2. are you finding any white ash????? Leon.

East_Tn_Bottle_Guy

Reaction score
Most of the ones I dig are about 3x3 or 4x4. 6x6 big for a privy if it's a privy. after digging about 100 privies & 50 trash pits you can tell the difference between the 2. are you finding any white ash????? Leon.
No, I haven't found any white ash.
And I just looked and realized I actually do have a picture from yesterday. I dig a little more after I took it, so it's a little deeper now.
20240314_123246.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen