NJ Whimsy Bottle?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

PhilaBottles

Reaction score
We dug this bottle out of a privy in Wilmington DE last night. It was in an 1840's-50's context. Maybe someone here can identify if it is a forgein or American made bottle. Its a real dark bluish aqua more so than green.

Thanks, Matt.

bellows1a.jpg

bellows1b.jpg

bellows1c.jpg

bellows1d.jpg

bellows1e.jpg

bellows1f.jpg

deer4x4

Reaction score
looks something like scent bottles do there alot of diffrent variations of scents seahouse nailsea i dont have a book of scent bottle but in odells the most listed are mck./wilson that would be a start to find if it matches any i will keep looking any great find nice bottle i like the design and the pontil on it bob

tigue710

Reaction score
it's in a classic German style from the 18th century, many German houses created similar whimsy bottles. I would put my money on it being a German blower but the color looks to be American glass... I'd believe ya if you said it was made in Jersey. Possibly a Stiegel bottle? It would be worth a pretty penny with out all that damage... but even with it and a confirmation as an American piece you talking museum quality, and very rare....

PhilaBottles

Reaction score
scent bottles do there alot of diffrent variations of scents seahouse nailsea i dont have a book of scent bottle but in odells the most listed are mck./wilson that would be a start to find if it matches any i will keep looking any great find nice bottle i like the design and the pontil on it bob

Hi Bob. Scent bottles can be very ellaborate in design. However, this bottle measures 6 12" tall (which I forgot to mention). That would seem too big for a scent bottle.

Im leaning more towards flask or naval boarding weapon....more so flask.

Matt

PhilaBottles

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: tigue710

it's in a classic German style from the 18th century, many German houses created similar whimsy bottles. I would put my money on it being a German blower but the color looks to be American glass... I'd believe ya if you said it was made in Jersey. Possibly a Stiegel bottle? It would be worth a pretty penny with out all that damage... but even with it and a confirmation as an American piece you talking museum quality, and very rare....

Right on the money, but I was thinking Jersey (or atleast hoping). Thanks for the input.

Matt

kungfufighter

Reaction score
Very cool. Flasks of this type were (as Matt indicated) blown in Germany and also in the Scandinavian countries. Glassblowers emigrating to the US brought their techniques with them and it has long been purported that flasks of this type were blown in South Jersey by Germans and/or Scandinavians. This, to my eye, appears to be that kind of flask - i.e. a South Jersey made object blown in a Germanic tradition. Flasks of this type were blown as early as the mid 18th century but the tradition would have perservered through the mid 19th century. Understanding that the flask was found in an 1840s context I wonder if there were any objects in the hole that spoke to earlier manufacture. Any additional info about the whereabouts (generally, I'm not looking to dig there myself) and the other types of objects in the hole would be most appreciated. This is indeed a most intesting find - CONGRATULATIONS!

kungfufighter

Reaction score
Please disregard the question about there whereabouts of the hole (I now see that it was in Wilmington) - I was excited and didn't read your initial post fully. I'd still be interested in hearing what else was in the hole though...

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
baumbers