Ouch....

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bostaurus

Reaction score
Hello all. With so much going on, I don't get on here much. Three kids graduating from college in the space of two weeks and all coming home until they can find jobs!Thought some might be interested in these non-bottle veterinary items: This is a seton needle. It screws together to make one needle about 12 inches long. The flat, leaf shaped end has very sharp edges. It was believed that if you had inflammation in one part of the body, you could relieve it by setting up inflammation in another part of the body. For instance, if there was a lung infection you could cause inflammation under the skin of the neck and it would draw the lung inflammation away from the lungs. The seton needle was used to punch and channel under the skin and then draw a length of twine or horse hair through. The twine would be left in to cause the irritation. Sometimes the twine would be covered in liniment or some other irritating substance to set up the inflammation faster. This large one would have been used on horses and cattle. Setons were also used on humans at one time but not as often as in animals.

Attachments

• be0baa3ac4b141ff98a05a74e918b4c9.jpg
    be0baa3ac4b141ff98a05a74e918b4c9.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 77

bostaurus

Reaction score
This piece is called a trocar and cannula. The trocar is the pointed bit and fits into the cannula, with the cap covering the sharp end when not in use. It is very rare to find one with the protective cap as they are easy to lose. This instrument was used to relieve bloating (excessive gas in the rumen) in cattle. The rumen holds about 55 gallons and is basically a large fermentation vat. Circumstances arise at time when the cow cannot rid itself of the gas produced and the rumen swells putting pressure on other internal organs which can lead to death. The rumen is close to the skin on the left side, just behind the ribs and will protrude there when the cow is bloated. The easiest way to release the gas it to punch a hole through the skin and into the rumen. That was the purpose of this tool. It was punched through the skin, into the rumen and then the center trocar removed. The hollow cannula would remain in place to hold the hole open as the gas escaped. The cannula was then removed, cow much relieved. Though a stitch might be put in place it was not always necessary as the hole would heal on its own. Though this is a 19th century example they have not changed much and are still used today. Many cattle and dairy farmers, to save on vet bills will just use a pocket knife....just don't be smoking when you do it!

Attachments

• ae9073935b4540e8a34238688c1b4203.jpg
    ae9073935b4540e8a34238688c1b4203.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 57

glass man

Reaction score
GOOD TO HEAR FROM YOU! WOW..it s a very busy time for you!I PRAY GOD WILL BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY!! OUCH is right on that 1st item...A lot of things doctors did in the 19th century to humans probably caused the patient to die..like "CUPPING" where a doctor would make a incision and let the blood fill up a cup..it was believed the new blood that this would generate would make the patient well..MAN!Of course if the person was already very weak..then this process probably would lead to the death of that person... I had an itemized doctor's bill from the 1850's..I think I am remembering right..any way the doctor "CUPPED" the person 5 times in one day!! Back then in some cases a person got well IN SPITE OF THE DOCTOR!! JAMIE

bostaurus

Reaction score
You are right Jamie, it is a wonder folks survived the 'cure'....many didn't. In a book I read on the Philadelphia yellowfever outbreak in 1793, Dr Benjamin Rush, of Revolutionary War fame, treated his patients with bleeding and purges. It is estimated that most of his patients probably died from his 'treatments' as it left them too weak to fight off the disease. Some of my old veterinary books suggest that you should bleed a horse until it becomes too weak to stand!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MotherMayhem