Pepsi-cola / deco / basket-weave / soda bottle design pattern

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Let's assume for the moment that the references to Carr and McLaughlin pertain to the ACL label and not the embossed label. With that said, exactly what is it about the ACL label that is so distinctively different than the paper labels that preceded it? And why bring in two high profile architects to design the ACL label?

Pepsi Cola Wave Bottle Paper Label (2).jpg

Pepsi Cola Wave Bottle Paper Label.jpg

Pepsi Cola Fountain Syrup Bottle Date Unknown.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S.

Did it really require two major architects/designers to ...

1. Place a circle around the Pepsi Cola signature?

2. Place the Pepsi Cola signature within a curvature wave?

3. And then put the signature/circle/wave within a square?

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I'm back to this as a possible design influence. I did some additional research on the Aviation Building and discovered it was one of the major attractions at the 1939 New York World's Fair. The Coca Cola headquarters and Walter Mack were both located in New York at the time. I believe its highly possible that Mack visited the fair as well as the Aviation Building. The more I look at the Aviation Building and compare it to the ACL label, the more similarities I see. Especially what I call the 'Paisley' shapes on both sides of the Pepsi Cola signature. Similar shapes can be seen with the Aviation building. I realize this is speculative, but something must have impressed Walter Mack enough to seek out the talents of James Gordon Carr, and I'm thinking that impression might have come from the Aviation Building. As near as I can determine, that sort of architectural design was James Gordon Carr's trademark style!

World's Fair 1939 Carr Design Aviation Building.jpg

Bass Assassin

Reaction score
Bob, this is an image from the New York World's Fair. See anything that may have influenced the design of the bottle? image.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
First of all, let me ask if it is either a Carr or McLaughlin design? I saw that structure during my World's Fair search but don't recall much about it.

Edited:

Bass

Are you referring to the original 'Embossed' bottle or the later 'ACL' bottle?

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Here's the so called 'Paisley' shape I was referring to earlier. When two of them are placed on top of one another, they form the so called 'Wave' between them.

Paisley Shape.jpg

Paisley Shape.jpg

Which, in some respects, is still being used today ...

Pepsi Logo (2).jpg

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I thought this was interesting! The parts with "italics" are quotes from the brochure it mentions. Especially notice the "Wings of America" which reminds me of James Gordon Carr's "Gull Wing" cooler. Maybe he had a thing for "wings"

Published in the 1939 New York World’s Fair brochure, this description helps to situate the William Lescaze and J. Gordon Carr designed Aviation Building in the context of the fair’s vast landscape. The pavilion sought to incorporate the architects’ concept of “flight in space” and celebrated the “Wings of America” through three themes: travel, defense, and private recreation. The simulated “hanger under-construction” – consisting of a convex facade, centrally inclined body and domed rear – was one of the more “architecturally ambitious” pavilions that year. Inside, semi-life-size commercial planes were suspended from the roof and formed a landing pattern. Displays included contemporary aircraft cross-section cut-outs, with other segments that addressed comfort, economy, technology, and safety.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
In search of ...

Any member who has a current subscription for "The New Yorker" magazine. According to their website, anyone who has a subscription has access to their archives. I checked and I'm pretty sure they have the 1950 issue with the Pepsi Cola "Baked-in Label" article. Apparently the archives are readable book by book, page by page. Please let me know if you have a current subscription and are interested in helping us out. To subscribe myself would cost about $50.00 a year but I really don't want to do that just to look at one magazine.

Thanks

Bob

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrokenGlassNDrivewayRocks