Real Coke ?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Wolfdog

Reaction score
Seen this on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/ebayisapi.dll?viewitem&item=160585794078. I live not to far from where this was bottled
Every Elson's bottle i have in the 7oz size is an ACL bottle. I have three Elson's bottles with paper labels and they are 32oz size.
Is it possible that someone glued on the coke label ? Elson's bottled quite a few sodas but i have never seen a paper label coke bottle
The label looks like a repo to me.The label says 6oz yet the description says 7oz

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Wolfdog ~

Here's the bottle in question from e-bay.
DE9661CEE81940B5BA2BC035CCD0CA22.jpg

Attachments

• DE9661CEE81940B5BA2BC035CCD0CA22.jpg
    DE9661CEE81940B5BA2BC035CCD0CA22.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 85

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
And this is from Digger O'Dell's website showing a fake label on the left and a real label on the right.
9D9B1A6DA11846388F1B629FD647EE2C.jpg

Attachments

• 9D9B1A6DA11846388F1B629FD647EE2C.jpg
    9D9B1A6DA11846388F1B629FD647EE2C.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 74

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Without seeing it in the flesh it would be hard to say with 100% accuracy. The label almost looks too good to be real ... and you know what they say about that. But it's more than the label itself that makes me think it's fake. I want to believe that a circa 1910 bottle like that (if a genuine Coca Cola) would more than likely have Coca Cola in script on it ... or Coca Cola (even in block letters) embossed on it somewhere.

Bottom line? I think it's a fake label! And that the bottle itself is not related to Coca Cola either!

SPBOB

celerycola

Reaction score
I've seen plenty of original and fake Coke labels and had several originals myself I purchased at the Atlanta Bottle Show in 1970.

Color and detail on this label looks good. And I've yet to see a repro of the C. H. Candler label. Everyone wants to copy the Asa Candler label.

celerycola

Reaction score
A lot of small town bottlers had sub-contracts to bottle Coca-Cola in their town. Many were too small to afford separate Coca-Cola embossed bottles. This bottle looks like late teens around the time of the introduction of the patented Coke bottle. The C. H. Candler label also indicates a late teens bottle. Printing on the original labels is typically better quality than the fakes because it was done with plate printing rather than photocopy or computer printed on the fakes.

I think it's real.

ORIGINAL: SODAPOPBOB

Without seeing it in the flesh it would be hard to say with 100% accuracy. The label almost looks too good to be real ... and you know what they say about that. But it's more than the label itself that makes me think it's fake. I want to believe that a circa 1910 bottle like that (if a genuine Coca Cola) would more than likely have Coca Cola in script on it ... or Coca Cola (even in block letters) embossed on it somewhere.

Bottom line? I think it's a fake label! And that the bottle itself is not related to Coca Cola either! 

SPBOB   

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Celery ~

Like I said, I'm just guessing. But since you obviously have more expertise with Coca Cola labels than I do, I have an observation and a question for you.

Notice on upper left of the e-bay label where you can see the portion of a blue line that looks like it may be the edge of where another label was cut off. Do you happen to know about the process that was involved in making original labels and whether or not they were full-sheet printed or printed individually?

Thanks,

SPBOB

celerycola

Reaction score
I've seen pre-1920 sheets of soda labels for brands other than Coca-Cola. This label was obviously part of a sheet that was off a bit when cut. When you consider that the larger Coke bottlers were using over fifty thousand labels a day at a single plant then printing one-at-a-time would not have met the demand.

ORIGINAL: SODAPOPBOB

Celery ~

Like I said, I'm just guessing. But since you obviously have more expertise with Coca Cola labels than I do, I have an observation and a question for you.

Notice on upper left of the e-bay label where you can see the portion of a blue line that looks like it may be the edge of where another label was cut off.  Do you happen to know about the process that was involved in making original labels and whether or not they were full-sheet printed or printed individually?

Thanks,

SPBOB  

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I'm changing my "guess/opinion" to REAL LABEL ... which is primarily based on celerycola's empherical observations, but also because of the picture below of the e-bay bottle as seen from the back. Notice that you can see the Coca Cola printing through the back side of the label. I suspect that a fake wouldn't show through the paper like that. I realize this may not be very strong evidence. But it's just enough, combined with celery's comments, for me to change my mind.

I saw on Antiques Roadshow once where they said there are "glue experts" nowadays who can solve these kind of dilemmas. But I doubt this would be necessary on a $20.00 bottle. [:)]

SPBOB

B557D357ABF949EB859CDD2D30394F49.jpg

Attachments

• B557D357ABF949EB859CDD2D30394F49.jpg
    B557D357ABF949EB859CDD2D30394F49.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 85

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sneaky Pete