Real or Fake?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

epackage

Reaction score
It just looks wrong/odd/cobbled together to me...

NyDigger1

Reaction score
FAKE, Radium glass (or glass that was heat treated with radiation) only came around in the 1940s, if you look at alot of post depression glass and marbles they have the same effect, its a dead give away

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: NyDigger1

FAKE, Radium glass (or glass that was heat treated with radiation) only came around in the 1940s, if you look at alot of post depression glass and marbles they have the same effect, its a dead give away
I have to disagree with your timeline Mike, I think you're way off...

From Wiki...

Uranium glass became popular in the mid 19th century, with its period of greatest popularity being from the 1880s to the 1920s.

The first major producer of items made of uranium glass is commonly recognized as German Josef Riedel, who named the yellow (German: Gelb) and yellow-green (German: Gelb-Grün) varieties of the glass "annagelb" and "annagrün", respectively, in honor of his wife Anna Maria. Riedel was a prolific blower of uranium glass in Unter-Polaun (today Dolni Polubny), Bohemia from 1830 to 1848.

By the 1840s, many other European glassworks began to produce uranium glass items and developed new varieties of uranium glass. The Baccarat glassworks of France created an opaque green uranium glass which they named chrysoprase from its similarity to that green form of chalcedony.

At the end of the 19th century, glassmakers discovered that uranium glass with certain mineral additions could be tempered at high temperatures, inducing varying degrees of microcrystallization. This produced a range of increasingly opaque glasses from the traditional transparent yellow or yellow-green to an opaque white. During the Depression years, more iron oxide was added to the mixture to match popular preferences for a greener glass.[7] This material, technically a glass-ceramic, acquired the name "vaseline glass" because of its supposedly similar appearance to petroleum jelly. Today, a few manufacturers continue the vaseline glass tradition: Fenton Glass, Mosser Glass, Gibson Glass and Jack Loranger.[8]

US production of uranium glasses ceased in the middle years of World War II because of the US government's confiscation of uranium supplies, and did not resume until 1958.

Riihimäki Glass produced uranium glass designer pieces after World War II.

bostaurus

Reaction score
It is a very common European shape for pharmacy bottles. Come in blues, green, amber, and brown.. that I remember. In my opinion they seem to have been made from very good glass as the colors always seemed to be brighter and clearer..if that makes sense.
Many continental European antique stores will have a few. They bring a higher price than the regular round jars.
I have seen the "uranium" jars and they are one of the hardest colors to find but not so rare as to justify that price. Just my 2 cents.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bearybottlebaby1776