Shurtleff's blood and dyspepsia bitters.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

VTdigger

Reaction score
I found a nice early 1900's clear 9 1/2 inch tall bottle that's embossed sideways it's, Shurtleff's blood and dyspepsia bitters. just curious how much it's worth.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
That's all you got VT, how much is it worth? $100,000 but I'm not doing appraisals at this time so $00.00.

botlguy

Reaction score
Ring - Ham Supplement does not list a price for S-105. It is listed in BITTERS BOTTLES as Extremely Rare so my gut tells me it's worth at least $500. S-104 Shurtleff's amber ladies Leg is listed at $1,000 and is also Extremely Rare but the shape and color would accont for that.

Nice find, congratulations. Please let us know what you find out, it's good to have such information in the data bank.

VTdigger

Reaction score
Wow! I just purchased the bitters book at a book sale and it is listed as extremely rare. I knew it was a good find when I dug it, I also found a hostetters stomach bitters in a pit a few yards away, I took the time to dig it out only to find the top was broke off it was whole except for the top I still should have saved it, it's at least good for an outdoor garden display. There's still plenty left to dig on this site though there have been several close calls where I thought I'd lost the site and other people are digging there now as well. but I have a feeling I'll be digging this one for years.

VTdigger

Reaction score
RE: Shurtleff's blood and dyspepsia bitters part 2.

I found some more information on this bottle from the kind folks at the National bottle museum, I was surprised to learn the bitters was based out of Bennington. [/i]“John Taylor Shurtleff was an apothecary in Bennington, Vermont. He made all of his own medicines including cough medicines, headache powders, etc. After his death in 1904, the new owner of the store destroyed all the medicines and his prescriptions, which were worth a great deal of money.â€

I went back to the dump today and found 2 pharmacists bottles from J.T. Shurtleff, one is 5 1/2 inches the other was a small 2 1/2 inches. I have also seen a city directory that lists relitives of Shurtleff living in the area near the dump site ( 1896-1904+) of course there's no way to know who deposited them there but all 3 were found in the general same hole.

stemp143

Reaction score
Did u find out how much it is worth i was curious

VTdigger

Reaction score
No I looked around online and at some local antique stores but didn't find it. I seem to recall seeing one like it somewhere either at an antique store or bottle show, but I've seen so many bottles it's hard to tell. I can only go by what botlguy said it's at least $500. Since I'm digging in the town where the pharmacist was based, I hope to dig some more Shurtleff's in the future.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmajeau