Single serving size Fire Extinguisher bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

lexdigger

Reaction score
Here's a close look at the top. It is ground and is sealed with what seems to be some sort of mortar or concrete. These things had some NASTY stuff in em that was very dangerous to be exposed to.
They weren't actually meant to be smashed, but more so Rolled or Tossed into a fire. The heat would react the chemicals and cause the grenade to Explode... showering the area with an extinguishing agent.

7F4B92C682654FCCB853EAA33DFA401C.jpg

Attachments

• 7F4B92C682654FCCB853EAA33DFA401C.jpg
    7F4B92C682654FCCB853EAA33DFA401C.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 27

GuntherHess

Reaction score
very nice fire grenade. The early ones like yours typically had brine in them from what I have read. THe later 20th century ones started using carbon tet (like red comets)

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Here I am again. I just reviewed this post and I also went to my old 3rd edition of Michael Polok's book and found that there were fire grenades as short as 3" and 4-1/2" high. My main fire grenade books are in FL.

Also I think the older ones had the carbon tet.. I know the Clyde Dowsers had a home made mix in them. And the newer ones I have ignored. Like the Red Comet, etc. I do have a nice big brass one that is over a foot tall by about 8" in dia. It has a regular sprinkler system head on the bottom of it..

The one you have lexdigger is one of the older ones. I noticed that you said it was ground on the finish. I guess it was. Usually they left them rough with the bursted off finish left rough on the lip.
RED Matthews

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine
I can't help it, (because i dug it :) I'm still thinking fire extinguisher . Here's my thoughts. Obviously, the Diamond brand Fire Extinguisher Co. for one. Then also, I've had a couple of clear fire extinguisher bottles that were clear, and had a line on them that was embossed something like " fill acid to this line" or something. They were a corked type bottle, clear cylinder, shaped like a common listerine bottle.

It doesn't look like an atomizer to me, because the ones I have found usually had ground mouths, right on the top of the body of the bottle, with no neck really.

Ah, wishful thinking. you're prob . right Lobey

I dug the shards to a YELLOW Diamond Fire Extinguisher bottle once ( small shards ) that would have been a killer.

GREAT lookin blue extinguisher there Lex, thanks for the pix !

lexdigger

Reaction score
No problem. I am by no means an expert on the subject. Had we not dug this one, I would have never researched them. Most all the research I did was online, but I did get to look at one book that a fire department had available. If I was a fire fighter, I'd have a shelf Full of these grenades... they are soooo cool!!!

epackage

Reaction score
http://www.1001inkbottles.com/ProdDesc.asp?cat=&id=lb7518

epackage

Reaction score
could also very well be an atomizer like this one half way down the page..... https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/m-153092/mpage-2/key-/tm.htm

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen