state of glass bottles today

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Uncola

Reaction score
I was just wondering if they still make glass bottles for major soft drinks (especially 7-Up). Googling "glass bottles" and visiting 7-Up's website yielded nothing. The reason I'm asking is because I want one that was made today. The bottles of 7-Up pictured on the website look like plastic ones. It's a shame if they don't, since glass should be easy to recycle.

epackage

Reaction score
Glass is heavy, glass breaks, green and brown glass is expensive to recycle(I don't know why but it is).....Plastic is the opposite of all of that, but I agree it is better tasting to my mind when it comes out of a glass bottle...

LC

Reaction score
I think you are right Jim , all beverages tasted better from a glass bottle , wish they would bring them back .

j.dinets

Reaction score
I don't know about 7-up, but Coca-Cola still makes the small bottles in glass, and sells them in 6 pack cardboard containers. Various times of year but especially around Christmas.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
My local grocery store sells soda in glass bottles in the "Ethnic" food section. I think they are selling to the mexican immigrant market, apparently soda is still in bottles down south of the border. I don't know about 7up, but I have noticed some traditional american sodas in the display.

Jim G

RED Matthews

Reaction score
All I can add to this thread is: ONLY THE BEST COMES IN GLASS!!

This a bumper sticker on the back of my car - too!!!
I hate beer in plastic, especially after it has been in the sunshine.

RED Matthews

SkinsFan36

Reaction score
Around here they still sell my favorite, Cheerwine, in glass bottles. Nothing to me beats an ice cold glass bottle Cheerwine. Pretty easy to find Coke and various Nehi flavors in glass also. Haven't seen any 7up though.

Wheelah23

Reaction score
Plenty of glass bottled sodas in stores around here. I definitely think everything tastes better from glass, maybe something to do with the chemicals leaching into the beverage from plastic bottles.

Don't know if I recall 7-UP but there is Coke, Sprite, and the local favorite, Boylan... Good stuff!

Uncola

Reaction score
Sorry to bring this topic back from the dead, but I found this on Wikipedia:
1990's 7-up bottle
I say 1990's because it has Fido Dido on it, which is about the same time as Spot. So I guess my question is, when did 7up discontinue glass bottles, or are they still producing glass ones? I just saw a 6-pack of Coke at the grocery in glass bottles.

MINNESOTA DIGGER

Reaction score
glass is not recycled easy . simple fact is it is collected and put in one container and then put in a garbage / recycle truck then compacted , but not always even if not compacted it still gets broken when truck gets emptied , the truck has hydraulic's it will break most bottles , once the glass is broke it becomes basically unrecyclable because no company wants a streak of brown or green in there product bottle , it looks bad& lawsuits could follow but the real reason is economics , it cost way too much to sort out, and the return on money spent for that technology is negated by the fact that bottles are cheap . most glass that makes it to the recycle center is either dumped at landfills for daily cover or a road bed at landfill , some goes in the mix for making asphalt . i drove a trash truck for several years , and personally seen thousands of end dump loads of mixed color glass get dumped at landfills , recycling glass is a joke , lots of fuel is spent collecting the product which ends up going to the landfill anyways . plastic is generally turned into plastic lumber which does not as a rule get recycled again . generally recycled plastic does not go into any food grade product , because when it is mixed with all the glass metal cardboard etc inside truck , broken glass will get in plastic . and could & would result in many lawsuits if people ingested a small piece of glass , the main items that get recycled residentailly are steel paper and aluminum . i also hauled the trash out from the recycle center they throw out a lot.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vladlitski