Strange Quarter

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Holindaze

Reaction score
My second job is at a grocery store and today while counting change, I found two quarters that were different, one was a 1954 silver quarter and the other was 2006 state of Nevada quarter that looked like a Canadian quarter when I saw it in the roll, it has the same silver color rim as the Canadian steel coins and not anything like the silver us coinsIt is not magnetic nor does it sound like the silver coins unless it is from a proof set but with less silver. It could just be a strange clad dye that looks steel. Probably worth a quarter, but interresting.

MIdigger

Reaction score
If the rim is silver it would be a proof set silver quarter. You can verify this by the "S" mint mark on the obverse (Washingtons profile side of the coin). ONLY the proof coins/some mint set coins have the "S" (San francisco) mint mark (from 68-current) Older ones were made at (P) Philadelphia with no mintmark back then.

However, proofs are made in 90% silver or the clad composition (look for that S mint mark). Though the clad would have a copper line in the edge along with the nickel metal. If your coins silver it IS the same composition as the older quarters 90% silver. Clad quaters are not magnetic (US) they have an outter coating of copper-nickel (which gives it the silver color, bonded to a pure copper core.

If its a proof coin also it will have a mirror type finish to it (unless its been in circulation a long time). But, they do show up in circulation from time to time. People get desperate for cash, kids swipe them from parents etc. I did get a silver proof in change up at deer camp back in 2006 I believe it was. I asked the party store owner if I could look through her quarters but that was the only one.

Holindaze

Reaction score
No S mintmark, it has a P on it so it from Philadelphia. That was what I thought it was at first, but I will be taking it to a coin deal;er tomorrow.

MIdigger

Reaction score
Well, it couldve possibly been a mint set coin, but that wouldnt be any different than a circulated quarter. Please let me know what you find out. Very interesting story Id like to know how it turns out. Good luck!

Brandons Bottles

Reaction score
I've got one of those except it's Kansas. I brought it to a coins store and it came from a platinum plated proof set. This is most likely the same thing, but if not- I'm clueless.[8|]

MIdigger

Reaction score
BB if that is in fact a platinum plating its not the U.S. mint doing it, same as gold plating them. Interesting, and plating doesnt usually cost that much because its so thin. With gold and platinum trading so close to the same prices thats certainly a possibility.

I guess I just dont know why someone would want a platinum finish as its much the same as a clad or silver, whereas gold is totally different. But, maybe someone wanted something different.

Still like to see where this story winds up.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
The US and Canada were similar in time frames. 1964 was 90% US and I think 80% Canada. I'm sure I could be mistaken. Up to I think '68, US coins were 50% silver.
Your 2006 I'm sure is just clad over the rim and nothing special.
No coin's from the US or Canada were steel except for the wartime pennies in the US. Maybe some others, I'm not a numismatic.

MIdigger

Reaction score
U.S. dimes/quarters/halves to 1964 were 90% silver. Halves only from 1965-1970 were 40% silver. In the 70s Ike dollars (called blue or brown Ikes as they were special 40% silver coins) were made for collectors. Also in 1976 there was a special 40% silver set with the quarter (only 40% silver quarter made) half,dollar. Then in `92 the mint came out with the 90% proof sets again (dime/qtr/half) to present day.

Canadian silver coins either 80% or 50% silver (the 50% were late 60s) Canadian coins of late are in fact steel. Even their pennies ( I believe 2000 was the change) are steel with a copper plating.

There are lots of errors/and oddities in the coin world worth money. I have a Kennedy half that has the clad peeled off and exposing the pure copper center. Also the 82 Kennedy half with No FG near the eagles tailfeathers on the reverse is worth some money (NO FG refers to the intials of Frank Gassparo the designer of the coin). Coins dont have to be silver to be worth $ just have to know what to look for.

Brandons Bottles

Reaction score
here's just an example of the platinum set on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-State-Quarter-Proof-Set-UNC-Platinum-Layered-/150603176204#vi-content

MIdigger

Reaction score
Thats interesting. The price is cheap enough for plated coins. Just have to find someone who wants them.

The State quarter sets (proof sets/mint sets) have been pretty much falling in price for some time. Even the coveted 1999 Silver set was 300+ and is now easily found for 125. The 2000 and 2005 proof sets are found for 5-7 bucks. With all those coins! Think the mint made a few too many extra thousand sets.

That 2001 quarter set for 19.99 is only half the proof set, the whole set (11 coins) can be had for the same price or less, with the 2001 Sac dollar listed in Numismatic news at 100.00 Other publications had it at 50.00 for just that dollar coin. As of yet Ive not heard one good explanation why that coin is listed that high (other Sac dollars in proofs are listed at 22.00 or so ) With same mintage figures etc.

Simple math $4/quarter with a platinum plating? someone will want it.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tcarulli