Sunday afternoon dig - continued

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

richf

Reaction score
Well, finally hit the bottom of the privy at about six feet. What a bust! Has anyone ever encountered this? I was finding some BIMAL stuff and shards at about the four foot level, dug through a thin layer of shale and discovered five KAYO crown top chocolate sodas below the early stuff. I know this pit has never been dug and the only thing I can figure out is that some stuff from an older dump nearby was thrown on top. Looks like another privy just above and to the right of this one ... I'm hoping it's the pit!
Have a great day, folks, and keep digging! [:D]
Rich

richf

Reaction score
Thanks, Rhona!
My next trick is finding time to dig the other one ... a tight schedule doesn't leave enough time for the good stuff and winter will be here before we know it. I'm hoping it's mild this year.....
Take care,
Rich

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Rich, It is almost as common to find one empty as it is to find one loaded. Don't get discouraged, I've dug my share of empty privys.

zachary

Reaction score
In the bottle dump I was digging this summer it was kinda the same way, at points. I would find cork medicines, karl hutter top bottles, and bottle cap types, usually right in the bottom of the holes. I also found lots of square and round nails, pieces of pipes, building materials, thick layers of ash.... I dug about five feet down and found a twist type pepsi top next to a bottle I traced back to between 1900 and 1915.

richf

Reaction score
Dumps like that are frustrating, to say the least! There's one not too far from here where blob sodas can sometimes be dug next to screw cap stuff! Actually, it means the contents of the dump dump were moved around over the years and in the process the older stuff was scooped up and mixed with the newer. Keep digging!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foothillsarchaeology