Swamp Gem

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

E

Reaction score
Finds are infrequent in the God-forsaken swamp that I frequently hunt, but when you get one its usually a good'un. Pictured in Mason & Burns Richmond pony I lucked into a couple weeks ago. Nice teal color and a very crudely made bottle:

2B7A0EEF9C0944ABA61A0A203F9366AA.jpg

Attachments

• 2B7A0EEF9C0944ABA61A0A203F9366AA.jpg
    2B7A0EEF9C0944ABA61A0A203F9366AA.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 44

E

Reaction score
Meech,

That's the first whole Mason & Burns I've ever dug, despite the incredibly crude/warped nature of the bottle is has a smooth base, but I ain't complaining. Wish I had a few more versions to compare it with, maybe sum day when you take me privy digging I'll get me another...

Casey,

Keep on digging - that creek dump has probably got several blobs still hiding in it.

E

Reaction score
Meech,

It was one of the best find moments I've ever had, I was running late, but decided to check one more slough. I saw the top protruding from the muck from about 20 yds away and my heart skipped a beat. I thoroughly expected it would be missing its bottom, but pulled it out to find it intact, then frantically turned it looking for embossment, almost feinted when I saw I had a local. I saw the link describing the time you found the 3 Indian Rock Pepsis - I imagine you felt sinmilarly light-headed.

I will take you to the spot when you get back in town - the bottles are sparse, but if you are good at probing (not my cuppa) we might find other civil war era stuff. The sight has also yielded an "Elixir Babeck for Malarial Chills" and an "F. Dusch" blob: but finds come on only about 10% of exhausting hunts. Another shot:

854D32B810E94C3DBCE51E7ACA55AAF3.jpg

Attachments

• 854D32B810E94C3DBCE51E7ACA55AAF3.jpg
    854D32B810E94C3DBCE51E7ACA55AAF3.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 38

kanudigit?

Reaction score
That's what we in the business refer to as a "keeper".

p.s. did yor doctor find that glass horseshoe yet? [8D]

E

Reaction score
It comes & goes my friend - since I found that Turlington's last week the last 20 bottles I have found have all been slicks. I'll break the mini-slump on Sunday.

Can't believe I missed those peanuts on the Sunny Brook soda...

kanudigit?

Reaction score
I would quote a line from Full Metal Jacket about where you can find more peanuts, but it would probably get me banned. Plus your arms are as big as my thighs, and I don't feel like getting a beating next time we dig![:D] Man you know you can have it if you really want it.

E

Reaction score
Casey,

Just wanted to let you know that my "glass horseshoe" doesn't always function =

- Yesterday morning waded through about 5 miles of the worst the Chickahominy could throw at me and didn't even find so much as an old shard.

- Yesterday evening I dug a dump directly behind an ancient homestead, it appeared to be totally undisturbed, but every bottle in it was broken. There were lots of nice whiskeys, bitters, and blob beers (very old Portners), but all were missing tops and/or bottoms. I was hoping that I would pull something out whole - nada. My theory is that kids broke em all with rocks (there were some perfect round river rocks dispersed among shards). The only consolation is that there is a privy there somewhere - if I just knew how to find it...

So I took a beeeg skunking despite very much effort. I'll be in Wilmington this weekend, let's go digging the following weekend (Sunday the 7th).

bttlmark

Reaction score
Finding a very few "good 'uns" beats finding lots of commons.
Congrats on your time well spent in the humid swamps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdahlem