The caps sounded like coins. Help identifying these bottles please

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

smr1000

Reaction score
Metal detecting this AM. A couple of great tones, which were the caps for both of these bottles. Both pretty deep, around 4-6 inches near
what I believe was a former hunting area.

The first is Hornby's Fruit Tablets Toffee and Butterscotch. Can't find any information any where about this product.

The second shows the cap, the bottle and the bottom -- D 460, 57 makers mark 8, made in USA, pat'd 954?4.
Now I have learn how to identify bottles by the numbers on the bottom.
What a fascinating new hobby!

I would be grateful for any advice regarding these bottles. Appreciate learning from you all. Happy New Year!
Steve

Attachments

• IMG_1876.jpeg
    IMG_1876.jpeg
    306.4 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1877.jpeg
    IMG_1877.jpeg
    401.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1879.jpeg
    IMG_1879.jpeg
    443.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1880.jpeg
    IMG_1880.jpeg
    525.9 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1883.jpeg
    IMG_1883.jpeg
    221.1 KB · Views: 64

Hezezilla

Reaction score
The second one is a liquor flask. The date code on the bottom is probably 1936 although, it may be 1946. The design was patented in 1935. I've never seen the Hornby's and could not find anything on it. I even tried a reverse image search. But, based on the cap, I would assume 30s-50s? It may be older but considering it was close to the other one, that's my best guess.

smr1000

Reaction score
Yeah, I've looked everywhere on the internet for the Hornby's bottle. It was deep under the roots of a tree next to a bowl. It's always fascinating to wonder who had last seen this bottle and what were they doing! Just having a snack? This is why I love metal detecting and now searching for bottles. Any thoughts on the brand of the liquor flask? Thank you!

Hezezilla

Reaction score
Yeah, I've looked everywhere on the internet for the Hornby's bottle. It was deep under the roots of a tree next to a bowl. It's always fascinating to wonder who had last seen this bottle and what were they doing! Just having a snack? This is why I love metal detecting and now searching for bottles. Any thoughts on the brand of the liquor flask? Thank you!
The brand is near impossible to figure out unless you can find purchase receipts from bottlers or a labelled example. If the bowl had a maker's stamp, it would be a further indication of age. 30s era alcohol bottles aren't super sought after but dig anyways because some of the sodas and milks are valuable.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen