This symbol

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

fishnuts

Reaction score
Actually, my exhaustive research...plus a first hand account...lead me to believe the dot has nothing to do with dating of an O/I soda. And for several reasons.
If the dot-theory is indeed a dating icon, then it would follow that all instances of there being a dot would be accurate and identical. And actually indicate the date. And they're not. And they don't. Identical bottles exist both with and without dots.
If there is even one specemin that fall outside that parameter, then the dot-theory must be wrong. I have documented many variations that have the dot is various places...sometimes a dash. Dots appear even behind double dated numbers...it's sure not a dating icon in this example.
In this case, if the bottle reads '3' it's from 1943, as I have seen no bottles marked '33' or '3' that date from then. Doesn't mean there isn't one, however I feel it's likely not to exist. I have yet to see any dated '43' although some research says there are...from some plants. I'm closest to Streator which is Plant #9, and have never seen one.
I now believe that the dot/dash/lump are quality control icons. My first hand witness to me said as much. Bottles made in multiples need to have a QC track on them so operatorss can identify a mold problem, then correct it.

What I believe to be the dating theory is...
to follow when I get more research done and more bottles looked at.
Wanna help?

It's amazing what your bottles can tell you if you only listen.
And it's amazing what they tell you when you look at data for hundreds at a time.

twowheelfan

Reaction score
http://myinsulators.com/glass-factories/bottlemarks.html
good information! check it.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krähemijers