Tumbling with plastic pellets

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

grdigger35

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if tumbling using plastic pellets requires more time in the tumbler than using copper. Thanks in advance for any help.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I have heard of using glass beads but not plastic pellets. Anything that has a lower density than copper is going to take longer due to less frictional force.

appliedlips

Reaction score
I heard of a gentleman in Indiana who uses them on delicate items but it can take several weeks, a month,or more.Some friends spoke highly of his work,so it must do the job.I think it would be silly to use them,unless scared of breakage.

grdigger35

Reaction score
I had a amber whiskey bottle in 1500 grit for 6 days. It looks like it could go another 6 days. It looked like it was about half way done. The only reason I'm experimenting with it is that a 5" or 6" cannister filled with copper gets pretty heavy.

grdigger35

Reaction score
That's next if these don't work. They seem to be doing the job but at a slower rate. I only use half the water so they don't start to float when the cylinder is upright.

JGUIS

Reaction score
Anyone ever try tumbling medium? I've run it at very slow speeds, but haven't tried it full blast yet.

buzzkutt033

Reaction score
greetings,

the idea of mixing glass beads and copper sounds like one i should try. can anyone ( Matt ) tell me what size beads to buy and where to get them locallly?? is this an arts and craft store item? thanx in advance for any help.

Jim

AFCD6CE5D4B54164AF3F4B15BF45CC8A.jpg

Attachments

• AFCD6CE5D4B54164AF3F4B15BF45CC8A.jpg
    AFCD6CE5D4B54164AF3F4B15BF45CC8A.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 79

bottlediger

Reaction score
Plastic pellets are not really a smart idea, they will get the job done but after a LONG LONG time. Say it costs 1.00 to buy a couple lbs of plastic pellets and a wopping 8.50 to buy a lbs of copper, and say it costs a dollar a day to run your bottle tumbler (probly more today with high prices). If it takes Ill say at the very lest a month to tumble a bottle with plastic pellets thats gona cost you over 30 dollars in just electric, where it usally takes 5 days to tumble a bottle with copper. In the long run its much cheaper to use copper even though the front end cost is more. However, Glass beads are the way to go if you want a cheep tumbling media that doesnt take much longer than copper to tumble a bottle real good and they are much lighter. Usally takes 2 or 3 days longer than copper when using glass beads. Hope that helps

Digger Ry

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cehobson