Unexpected early find in the forrest near my house!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Reaction score
Hi all,
This is my first post on this site and I am excited to share this bottle I found. I was cycling out across the forrest near my house and was on my way to an 1940’s dump site in the forrest. On the way, I stopped by an old Farmstead to have some food, and noticed the valley next to it. It was a deep hill-side and was covered in broken glass and pottery. I was already on my way to another known dump site so told myself I’d go back there later on just before dark. So I went to the normal site, pulled a few nice corkers and a couple of soda’s, then made my way back to the steep verge. Bearing in mind that this is a large valley, so difficult to get up and down from how steep the sides are and has a small part of a river flowing through the bottom. So I began digging, pulled out a few old pieces of pottery and a couple of old paste pots (attached at the bottom) and noticed a few bottle necks poking out of the ditch in the creek at the bottom. Each was pulled out slowly and this is where the highlighted find was pulled. It looks to be before the 1900’s but then I’m not fully sure on how to determine the age. It is a Chemist bottle which reads “Property of Hardy & Son, Chemists, Salisbury” and I would really like your help to identify the age and value of it. Thanks for any help you can give,
Many thanks,
Jack

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    492.4 KB · Views: 333
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    429.8 KB · Views: 325
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 292
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    489.2 KB · Views: 278
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    409.2 KB · Views: 320
Last edited:

hemihampton

Reaction score
My First Question is where are you located, in United States or somewhere else???

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
That's a nice find! Presumably it's a soda bottle, occasionally pharmacies would also produce soda water up until the early 20th century. It's an unusually dark one, so maybe for ginger beer? Date-wise I'd say roughly late 19th or early 20th century, it can be harder to nail down the precise age of UK bottles because the glass factories there were quite slow to adopt new technologies and when they did it tended to be more piecemeal, so you would have much older techniques being used alongside modern techniques.

hemihampton

Reaction score
I thought it looked foreign, at least to me it did being from the U.S.A. which is why I asked location. But I agree with what CanadianBottles said. LEON.

Mailman1960

Reaction score
Sorry I didn’t specify, I am located in the UK. Not too far from Southampton.
Your in the right place where people are nice enough to help with this hobby. Plus you have Canadian, American and British people getting along. Maybe were on to something here?

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help everyone! One of my friends also went there and found this really nice R-Whites sofa bottle. I’ll attach some photos at the bottom. I’m guessing we can date this dump by finding age of the bottles, so I would think this dump is late victorian and possibly edwardian. I do know the owner of the land who is a family friend, and he’s told me we can dig as much as we like . Maybe we’ll find something good!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    501.4 KB · Views: 113
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    520.5 KB · Views: 121
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 115

Members online

Latest threads