Youngs Island RR, SC soda

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I found this and am currently looking for the labels in lively colors that might be related to canned goods as well as bottles ...

http://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Bryan-1594

George Franklin Bryan and his wife, Martha (Wilkinson) Bryan, lived in a lovely old place on Yonges Island, South Carolina. George was considered quite a character by his descendants. He was a farmer, had a canning and bottling works the products of which he marketed with labels in lively colors and designs, was an inventor, and had a little grocery store! At the age of fifty, George was awarded a patent for an improved mechanism for propelling boats.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
George Franklin Bryan

Born: 1851
Died: 1925 (Age 74)

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=lowcountry&id=I02845

This gravestone is in a cemetery in Yonges Island, South Carolina

Bryan George F Gravestone 1851 1925.jpg

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
1. 1919 map of Yonges Island. I marked in red where the Atlantic Coast Line railroad tracks used to be located. The rail line ceased operation to Yonges Island in 1951. One or more of the small black squares are probably the Bryan general store, canning operation, and bottling works ...

Yonges Island 1919 (4).jpg

2. 2015 Google Earth - But no clear indication where the railroad tracks used to be. The numerous large buildings near the wharfs are a metal works company that's currently in operation there ...

Yonges Island 2016.jpg

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Here's the boat propelling mechanism that George F Bryan invented and patented in 1903 ...

(Notice that Yonges Island is misspelled)

Bryan Boat Mech Patent 1903 Text (2).jpg

Bryan Boat Mech Patent 1903 (3).jpg

OsiaBoyce

Reaction score
Uhhhhhhhhhhh, hate to bring this to yall's attention, but RR on this bottle does not stand for 'railroad' but for...............get this RURAL ROUTE. If ya don't know what that is, it's the way many of us used to get our mail. It's also sometimes noted as RFD or RURAL FEDERAL DELIVERY. It's just an address and nothing more.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
For the record ...

1. I stand corrected and am confident with relative certainty that the RR on the bottle stands for Rural Route and not Railroad

2. RFD stands for Rural Free Delivery and not Rural Federal Delivery

According to this 1914 newspaper article, the Yonges Island post office had two routes. One Rural Route and one Star Route. The Star Route mentioned in the article was most likely a boat delivery route along the various waterways in the area that delivered mail to the various island communities. The Yonges Island post office was established in 1888 and continued operation until the 1980s when a new central post office was built in Meggett to handle the surrounding area known as St. Paul's Parish, which included the towns of Adams Run, Hollywood, Meggett, and Yonges Island. The town of Yonges Island was named after Francis Yonge and Meggett was named after William Meggett.

I did some additional research on the spur of the Atlantic Coast Railroad that terminated at Yonges Island and discovered the majority of goods shipped by rail went from Yonges Island to Charleston and not from Charleston to Yonges Island. Of course the railroad brought in a certain amount of goods for Yonges Island, but the main purpose of the line was to ship cabbage and potato related products, including enormous amounts of cabbage seeds, to all parts of the United States via Charleston.

The reason they were called 'Star' Routes is because back in the day (Mid 1800s) the postal people listed certain routes in certain ways and used asterisks *** for some of the rural routes. Because the asterisks looked like stars, they started calling those particular routes Star Routes. (Simple but true). The earliest use of the term 'Star Route' was in 1883 and has been used ever since.

[ 1914 South Carolina newspaper article ]

Yonges Island 1914 (3).jpg

Yonges Island 1914.jpg

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Speaking of St. Paul's Parish and the township of Adams Run ...

Every U.S. Census I can find for George F Bryan, including the 1900, 1910, and 1920 census, all show him and his wife Martha (Mattie) as residing in Adams Run. Those same census list George as a 'Truck Farmer' and do not mention anything about his general store or bottling operation. I triple checked my sources and the census records are definitely for the same George F Bryan that was born in 1851 and died in 1925 and who also had the store and bottling works on Yonges Island. As near as I can determine, it appears that George and Martha maintained two residents, one in Adams Run and one on Yonges Island, but used Adams Run when it came to certain records such as U.S. Census. Even though I have looked, I cannot find a specific address for them on Yonges Island, but according to the attached 1910 Census, it list them as residing at number 59 in Adams Run. The term 'Truck Farmer' generally applies to anyone who grew and shipped products that were intended to be marketed as opposed to products grown for personal consumption, such as home gardens. It appears that George Bryan's primary occupation was that of a truck farmer with the store and bottling works as a sideline business.

[ 1910 U.S. Census - Adams Run ]

Note: Adams Run is located about 7 miles northwest of Yonges Island

Bryan 1910 Census (2).jpg

Bryan 1910 Census (3).jpg

Bryan 1910 Census (4).jpg

Bryan 1910 Census (4B).jpg

Bryan 1910 Census.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I found this and am currently looking for the labels in lively colors that might be related to canned goods as well as bottles ...

http://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Bryan-1594

George Franklin Bryan and his wife, Martha (Wilkinson) Bryan, lived in a lovely old place on Yonges Island, South Carolina. George was considered quite a character by his descendants. He was a farmer, had a canning and bottling works the products of which he marketed with labels in lively colors and designs, was an inventor, and had a little grocery store! At the age of fifty, George was awarded a patent for an improved mechanism for propelling boats.

( I posted this earlier and is additional confirmation about George Bryan being a farmer )

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
For future reference ...

Both of these snippets are from South Carolina directories ...

1. 1911 - This is where I first came across the name G. F. Bryan. Notice that Yonges Island is misspelled, which I have encountered numerous times throughout the course of my research. This is the earliest listing I have been able to find for the bottling works. George Bryan was 60 years old in 1911.

Bryan Springs 1911 (2).jpg

2. 1921 - Notice this listing says Charleston. But I don't know if its a typo or was possibly referring to the county. As far as I know the bottling works was never located in Charleston proper. This is the latest listing I have been able to find for the bottling works. George Bryan was 70 years old in 1921.

Bryan Springs Charleston 1921 (2).jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agrounds1