what's wrong with the lip on this ink?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

saratogadriver

Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/Scarce-Sz-12-Sided-Aqua-Umbrella-Ink-w-Yel-Green-Lip-1D_W0QQitemZ320505934283QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a9fa471cb

It just doesn't look right to me. I wish the seller had zoom enabled so one could look closer. I don't know much about repairs, is this lip a repair?

!BpCgFQ!!mk~$(KGrHqYOKkYEubZz)qh2BLpr81OUEg~~_35.JPG

Let's see if the pic stuck in the post...

Jim G

woody

Reaction score
It looks like an amber striation in the lip on the ink bottle.
I don't believe it's a repair because why would someone repair a relatively common aqua umbrella ink??

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I have noticed that a lot of Pittsburgh and Ohio Civil War era bottles have amber impurities in the applied lips. I dont know that much about ink forms but the half circle key mold is often an indicator of these bottles.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: GuntherHess

I have noticed that a lot of Pittsburgh and Ohio Civil War era bottles have amber impurities in the applied lips. I dont know that much about ink forms but the half circle key mold is often an indicator of these bottles.

It's definitely a mid-west style umbrella. So that makes sense. It just didn't look right to me, in color of lip or in what looked like a line in the neck area where the color changes.

I wasn't aware of the amber in lip issue with mid western bottles... H'mmmm. You learn something new every day.

Jim G

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis