Blown 3 piece mold bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

woody

Reaction score
Here's a bottle I'm trying to find out about.
It's an amber blown 3 piece mold bottle that was probably some sort of ale or beer bottle.
It has ARNAS 20 on the bottom of the bottle.
Has anyone else seen a bottle like this?

Wu61263.jpg

Attachments

• Wu61263.jpg
    Wu61263.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 81

woody

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that when I dug this bottle it came out of a dump that was used from the early 1800's until around 1890.

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Arnas is a city in East-central France.

Does your bottle have any indication of a wire clamp? Many French beer bottles used a ceramic stopper with a wire bale to clamp it in place.

---------Harry Pristis

woody

Reaction score
There wasn't any wire clamp on the bottle when I found it, Harry, although it was in a dump and may have corroded off of the bottle.
The bottle was found amongst many pontiled and pre-civil war era bottles.
The dump may have even gone back to the late 18th century.

Thanks for your help, Harry.

woody

Reaction score
Thanks so much, Henrik35.
It great to know where it came from and a little history behind the bottle.
Do you happen to know how old the bottle is?

And yes, you are right about the bottle. It does have that little o above the A in Arnas.

woody

Reaction score
No, Henrik, I live in the Northeastern part of the United States.
The state of New Hampshire.
Thanks so much for giving me the information about the Arnas Glassworks in Sweden.
It must have been brought over by ship through the port of Portsmouth, N.H. or Boston, Mass.

den3725

Reaction score
Howdy, I am new in here. I recently acquired several bottle like the one you show, but
they are much darker and the pontil mark is very uneven, as are the necks on some of the specimens.

Lj22428.jpg

Picture reduced in size. See Help - Using the Forum >> Uploading a Picture - Admin

Attachments

• Lj22428.jpg
    Lj22428.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 88

IRISH

Reaction score
Hi den3725 welcome to the bottle forum to you and Henrik35 [:D] .
Black glass porter, ale and whatever else they had in them bottles come in an endless variety. If your one's have a distinct base mark (like woody's one has) it is sometimes possible to find out where it was made, mostly though they are un-identifiable.
They are nice bottles to dig, for all the hundreds I've dug of them it's still a thrill to pull one out 150 years (give or take a few decades) after it was throwen away [:D] .

den3725

Reaction score
Hello and thanks for the official welcome. I live in the North Cowichan Valley area on Vancouver Island and I have been digging and searching since '75. Right now I live very near Mt. Sicker (an old copper mining community around 1880-1920. I will include a brief paragraph about it. There are still some treasures to be found there but it is very well picked over, still, it is possible. I live basically at it's base and apparently
there was a saw mill log chute that used to be very close to where I live. I have found old shards just walking down the road and since I came across your website I am itching to dig. Thanks again..

Mt Sicker, which lies between Duncan and Chemainus. At the turn of the century, the Mt Sicker copper mines just north of Duncan were so rich and so famous that two entire towns were built on the mountain, and two separate rack railways brought ore down to smelters at Cowichan Bay and Ladysmith. The one line had the steepest grade in Canada, and adventurous Victorians travelled to Duncan (on the E&N Railway), from where they could be thrilled with a ride up the gravity defying railway line, with its tight corners and triple switchbacks.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
.TheNYBittersCollector.