green bottle with 'c' logo

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Jean_Kramer

Reaction score
Anybody know anything about a green bottle from Jamestown, ND. It's got a "C" logo over what might be a tower? It's 28 cm. tall. Appears to have a hand applied lip. I'm a real amateur so any clues would be helpful.

See more pictures including an etching of the logo at http://www.mnstate.edu/kramer/greenbottle.htm

Thank you,
Jean Kramer

Pn37945.jpg

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Hello, Jean . . .

I did not find this bottle in my book on food bottles, but my best guess is that this is a French-made capers bottle. The tower may be a crude representation of the Eiffel tower in Paris. The French seemed to prefer this emerald green color for their condiments. This is a classic form.

Does the base of this bottle actually have a pontil scar? I couldn't be certain from the image on your web-page. If it does, it makes the bottle all the more desirable as a collectible bottle.

For the benefit of any new collector who reads this thread, a "pontil" is the rod that holds the bottle when it is removed from the blowpipe. When you read somewhere that a bottle "has a pontil," you should understand that this is an elipsis for "has a pontil scar."

The pontil scar is just that, a scar. This is a rough place that may be circular, or donut-shaped, or even as a scatter of sharp grains on the bottle base. I always feel stupid when I cut a finger-tip searching for the pontil scar, but it can and does happen when you collect these older bottles.

Perhaps someone else here will be able to identify the company represented by the "C" in the logo.

--------Harry Pristis

Jean_Kramer

Reaction score
I noticed this bottle in the book, The Standard Old Bottle Price Guide by Carlo & Dorothy Sellari (Peducah, KY: Collectors' Books, c1989.). The authors classify it as a soda bottle and interpret the "tower" as an "A" but there's no more info, so I don't know if they were really sure. I'd sure love to know at least about the logo.

Thanks for any further info.
- Jean

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
I have some information about the company that used your bottle. I will scan the info and post it when I get a chance.

Does the base of this bottle actually have a pontil scar? I couldn't be certain from the image on your web-page. If it does, it makes the bottle all the more desirable as a collectible bottle.

------Harry Pristis

Jean_Kramer

Reaction score
Yes...I believe it does have a pontil scar. Perhaps this new picture will look better online.

Nl29774.jpg

Attachments

• Nl29774.jpg
    Nl29774.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 97

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Hey, Woody . . .

Van den Bossche in Figure 16, pp 55, calls this rod "A pontil or puntee", but it is also spelled "punty" in some places.

The tool used to shape a bottle is a "pucellas, more often called 'the tool'," according to Cecil Munsey. Munsey figures a pucellas on page 35 of his book.

I'm glad to find someone else interested in how these bottles were blown. :^)

---------Harry Pristis

woody

Reaction score
A kick up is when the bottom of the bottle is pushed up inside the bottle.
Alot of wine bottles have kick up bottoms.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis