A theory on color

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

tigue710

Reaction score
So I've been thinking about color and why some bottles come in such a great range. It seems, and as a matter of fact we tend to see bottles produced in a greater magnitude in a greater range of color. One reason for this of course being that more separate orders were placed and there for separate batches used to make the bottles, as compared with more scarce shorter lived companies. The thing is bottle color was very important to most manufactures who either desired dark glass to protect their wares or clear glass so the contents could be seen. Many wanted a specific color which helped indicate or authenticate the product.

So my theory is that glass and molds were expensive. Glass manufacture was also expensive, so glass houses didn't want to waste left over metal and people needing bottles wanted to cut costs. Possibly the glass houses offered deals on left over batches or even mixed batches of left over glass to propritors who didn't care as much about color because the product sold
itself by name? Therefor taking deals on any glass available while making large orders?

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I think it has been documented that certain bottles that are found in a wide range of colors (for example Lyons Powders and Townsends Sarsaparillas) were made en masse at low cost with whatever glass was available.

BillinMo

Reaction score
That's one of the reasons why insulators come in such wide color variation. With the exception of some "marker signals" sold in blue or amber, most buyers only wanted a functional product and didn't care much about color, so manufacturers often used the leftovers to make insulators.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mlzeigler